Mum with young adult daughter with ADHD

I am supporting a lady who has a young adult daughter with ADHD who still lives at home. The daughter is able to hold down a job but at home resorts to being a child. The Mum is understandably at the end of her tether as she wants to support her on financial matters and also wants her to progress but the daughter makes it very difficult and is quite aggressive towards her Mum and sometimes violent. I would like to find the Mum a counsellor who is trained in supporting people who care for young adults with behavioural difficulties. If anyone has any ideas, I would be very grateful. Also perhaps a support group. Unfortunately the Mum isn’t very IT savvy and finds it difficult to use a computer so Im looking for telephone options. Thanks in advance for any help!

Hello Alison

Welcome to the forum

This sounds like a difficult situation for the person you are supporting. I’d suggest you ring our helpline on 0808 808 7777 Mon- Fri 9am - 6pm or and ask if they can signpost you in the right direction.

It might also be helpful to download our ‘Looking after someone’ guide from our support page and check if there is any information there you might find useful

Best wishes


Social Services are best placed to help this family.
The daughter needs to leave home asap and realise that nice as it is being a child, she needs to grow up!

Hi Alison,

Young Minds has information on supporting someone with ADHD and there is also a helpline for parents. It might be worth a look - you could print of the most relevant stuff for her YoungMinds | Mental Health Charity For Children And Young People | YoungMinds