Morning Carer

This might seem a silly question but I just can’t figure it out…!. Dad has just been discharged from hospital and will now have a carer. The carer will call between 7am and 10am. Mum is worried because she isn’t sure when she can use the bathroom…She can’t wait until 10am because she’s a very active 87yr old…She won’t be able to get up before 7am. To ha e her shower in an evening is problematic because of pain at the end of the day because of spine problems and RA. Any advice very much appreciated…:slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Sarah & welcome

I can’t think of any reason you can’t speak to the care agency and explain the situation. Care plans quite rightly are for the person receiving the care. But also must reflect family situations see if they will provide the call later than 7 am. I’m very much don’t ask don’t get. I certainly don’t think Mum should be worrying about it.

Hi daisy,

It’s a tough one, in my experience with quite a few agencies morning slots are quite difficult, my mother is supposed to have a shower call at 9:30 this can range from 10 - 12:30. I have complained many time but they always have lazy excuses, you may get a time from the company but I entirely depends on whether the staff are lazy and going for breakfast or lunch because doing their job is soooooooo difficult.

I don’t think many of the care workers themselves are lazy, Jamie. Although admittedly some are.

A friend of ours does this job and she is often not given enough time for each visit nor allowed enough time to travel between clients. She also doesn’t get to choose the order she visits folk.

Also most people want a call for shower/breakfast, lunch, tea, bed etc and so there might be lots of people wanting care at 9.30 for example.

The problem is often care agencies take on more clients than they can manage, councils don’t pay enough and self funders pay over the odds.

Melly1

Paid carers are human beings too!
Unfortunately there is such a severe shortage of carers at the moment, that many are struggling and some are even handing contracts back to the council.
Try to think what is absolutely essential as far as time and task is concerned, and be as flexible as possible.

Is there any way that the council would provide a care allowance that you could employ a private carer? Then, you might be able to have someone come at a time that suits you.