LIVE Q&A on Disability benefits today at 11:00am-12:30pm

Today is day three of Carers Week (8-14 June) and we are running a LIVE Question and Answer session with one of our helpline advisers on Disability benefits (DLA/PIP/AA).

To join, just post your question below between 11:00am-12:30pm and one of our Helpline advisers will respond. Your question can be related to your experience or be for a friend or be something general.

We hope you can join us.

Some people have asked on the forum about what counts towards the 35 hours needed to qualify for CA. The Helpline helped me many years ago over this issue, would you like to explain here.

by robert_19081 ยป Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:51 am
Hi

I help care for my mother in a supportive role not physical as I have health issues myself. This is over 35 hours per week. However due to my health issues I am in receipt of ESA and am in the support group. Would I still qualify for carers allowance? My mother does qualify for carers allowance, and is in receipt of PIP high rate care.

I have received carers allowance up to a few months ago, for not only emotional support, but also security and prompting as needed.

However, this was stopped during my mothers PIP review which has now been reinstated, and also back dated to the initial review date, as will the carers allowance if I should reclaim.

I was not in the esa support group myself at that time, although I was in receipt of esa in the activity group. So I am now unsure if being in the support group would make a difference to my benefits?

When my son was in boarding school, you sent me details of some case law, regarding a lady whose brother was away temporarily, that was what I was referring to.