I need some advice and help!

Hey :slight_smile:

I am a carer for my mum. She gets high rate disability allowance and PIP, she is looking at going back to work, part time, i was wondering would this affect my carers allowance?
Because she is still going to need my care, in the morning & night.

Em x

Hi Em … seasons greetings … welcome to the canteen.

First part … Carers Allowance … eligibilty :

Eligibility

The person you care for

The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:

Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate
Attendance Allowance
Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
Armed Forces Independence Payment

Your eligibility

You must earn no more than £120 a week after tax and expenses. Expenses can include:

50% of your pension contributions
some of the costs of caring for your children or the disabled person while you’re at work

All of the following must also apply:

you’re 16 or over
you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
you’ve been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this does not apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)
you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
you’re not in full-time education
you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more
you’re not subject to immigration control

So far , so good ?

Your mother :

__

She gets high rate disability allowance and PIP.

DLA AND PIP ?

Has to be just one … PIP is gradually replacing DLA.

Disability Rights Factsheet 3 … link follows … covers PIP / DLA and employment :

Permitted work | Disability Rights UK

A bit of a minefield ?

On the benefits / allowances front , recommend crunching some numbers through an online calculator to ensure all out there are being claimed … also good for " What if " scenarios as so described in your posting.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

Universal Credit … a factor ?

Post code checker :

https://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate

If so , the calculator will reveal any changes from " Old money " benefits.

Have a ponder … then get back to us with any questions … or any other matters that may arise … for example … assessments / housing.

Are you sure you want to be a carer?
If mum can manage to work, the surely she could manage with help from someone else so that you could also work and have your own life?
Too late, I realised how much my family took me for granted, so some of my own personal goals never happened.