Carers Allowance For A Carer


Looking at the carers allowance criteria it mentions the individual have to be on a qualifying benefit.

Can you get carers allowance for someone on carers allowance and partial disability?


Hi Pipsy.

Qualifying benefit ?

DLA ( Middle / higher rate of care component ) / PIP ( Daily living component ) … and Attendance Allowance.

Assuming all other criteria is met ?

The person you care for
The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:

Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate
Attendance Allowance
Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
Armed Forces Independence Payment
Your eligibility
You must earn no more than £123 a week after tax and expenses. Expenses can include:

50% of your pension contributions
some of the costs of caring for your children or the disabled person while you’re at work
All of the following must also apply:

you’re 16 or over
you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
you’ve been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this does not apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)
you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
you’re not in full-time education
you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more
you’re not subject to immigration control
You might still be eligible if you’re moving to or already living in another EEA country or Switzerland.

You might be eligible for Carer’s Credit if you’re not eligible for Carer’s Allowance.

So, i guess that’s a yes as it doesn’t exclude people already on carers allowance within 1 household?

Hi Pipsy,

Welcome to the forum.
As far as I’m aware you can care for someone who cares for someone else. There were some longstanding members on here and the Dad claimed Carer’s Allowance for his wife and she claimed it for their son. Both the wife and the son required support.

Re qualifying benefits:

You look after someone who gets a qualifying disability benefit
This means the person you are looking after has to be getting:
the middle or the higher rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
either rate of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
either rate of Attendance Allowance or Constant Attendance Allowance of the normal maximum rate paid with the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions schemes
Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

You can read more here: Carer's Allowance | Carers UK


Thanks so much for that website yes you can it mentions at the bottom:-

If the person you are looking after is also caring for someone else, you can both claim Carer’s Allowance for looking after different people as long as you both meet the criteria. This also applies if you are caring for each other.