It’s been a very emotional and exhausting day

It’s been a very emotional and exhausting day after caring for my dad for 18 years he is going into a home. I need to be strong and know it is the best thing for me and my dad and I know I will still have the support of this group and also as my dad has got to have his treatment for cancer as well thanks everyone who has been there for me xxx

4 Likes

Hi Nikki Anne,
Well done for ensuring your Dad will be looked after 24/7 by a team of people. This will allow you both to have a father and daughter relationship again.

You will still have a role, overseeing his care but with time to rest and recuperate.

You have done the right thing - this is what your Dad now needs.

Be kind to yourself and focus on short visits - where the focus is creating happy memories together.

2 Likes

Hi Nikki Anne
I remember the roller coaster of emotions when my late very much loved husband had to go into a nursing home. It wasn’t what my family and myself wanted but needed for his safeguarding and mine. Yes, we did have to oversee his care especially at first as the staff got to know him.
Definitely enabled me to sleep at last when I adjusted to the situation. Eventually I reduced visiting to about 4 or 5 times a week. You will find a way that suits you.
You have done the right thing for both your sakes.

3 Likes

Hi

Yes you have done the right thing. Your father needs 24/7 monitoring and care. I agree with Pet, you are still very much part of his life and you can now help ease him into the Care Home life rather than feeling responsible for everything. You can be a daughter again rather than a carer.

NikkiAnne WELL DONE! You have cared for Dad for such a long time and there is a point when you have to say you have done everything you can for him and let others take the strain. He will get the care he needs 24/7 from those who can provide it. YOU can now catch your breath and recharge your batteries so each time you visit him you will be strong and happy and give him the emotional support he needs.

It has not been easy for you and I am sure you doubted yourself and whether you were doing the right thing. Just know you have done the best for HIM. There would be no point in struggling on - just as so many try - and only eventually finding it was the wrong thing.

As he settles in, try to get some time for you - knowing you don’t have to worry about him - and then you can enjoy your relationship with him without the extra stresses and problems. :people_hugging: :people_hugging:

2 Likes

Hugs, Nikki Ann. It’s easy to get overwhelmed at this stage, a lot of emotions and practical stuff too. Where to start??? Sadly, I’ve been involved with emptying my in laws home, my brothers home, and my parents home. Does dad own or rent his home? Did you live with him? Do you have Power of Attorney?

2 Likes

Heya and welcome. Tell us more. Well done. You are in my prayers.