Is it easy to get carers allowance for Paranoid Schizophreni

Hi, is it simple process and do the majority get accepted for claiming carers allowance for someone with Paranoid Schizophrenia? The person currently claims:

Employment and Support Allowance (Income-Related)
Support group - 111.65
Enhanced disability premium - 16.80

Personal Independence Payment
Daily living - enhanced rate - 87.65
Mobility - standard rate - 23.20

Thank you

If the carer meets the criteria then those benefits should enable a successful claim. The carer would not then be required to look for work.


If someone gets a disability premium does that have an effect. To that persons benefits.? If someone get’s carers allowance. Or is this only if claiming benefits such as housing Benefit etc.

Sorry, can’t answer that one. I really miss Chris from the Gulag’s expertise on this sort of issue.
Ask Cuk’s helpline.

It was just for Alex to be aware…

Hi Alex,
Welcome to the forum. I have passed on your query to our advice team and will let you know once I’ve got a response.
Wishing you all the best,

From the web site…

If you are a couple:
Both you and your partner must each be getting one of these benefits:
Attendance Allowance (or Constant Attendance Allowance paid with Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or War Pension)
Disability Living Allowance care component at the middle or highest rate
Personal Independence Payment daily living component
Armed Forces Independence Payment
No one must be getting Carer’s Allowance or Carer’s Element of Universal Credit for looking after you

If someone gets Carer’s Allowance or Carer’s Element of Universal Credit for looking after just one of you, you can still get Severe Disability Premium at the single rate.

You must be the only adults in the household

Sometimes you can get Severe Disability Premium even if there are other adults in the household. This can be complicated and you should use our tool to find an adviser

Posting this on behalf of our helpline advisor:

Hi Alex,

One of the main criteria for getting Carer’s Allowance is that the person you care for is on a qualifying benefit such as the Personal Independence Payment at the Standard of Enhanced rate of Daily Care. I can see from your message that this is the case.
The illness or disability that the person is affected by doesn’t matter.

The rules for Carer’s Allowance are as follows:

• You look after someone who gets a qualifying disability
benefit: the daily living component of Personal Independence Allowance, the Middle or higher rate of DLA care or any rate of Attendance Allowance.

• You look after that person for at least 35 hours a week;

• You are aged 16 or over;

• You are not in full-time education;

• You earn £123 a week (after deductions) or less;

• You satisfy the UK presence and residence conditions.

It’s very straightforward to make a claim, but you do need to make sure that your claim will not affect the benefits of the person you look after.

This could happen if the person you care for is classed as living alone and did not have a carer being paid Carer’s Allowance for looking after them. If this is the case they may be getting something called a Severe Disability Premium (SDP) in their ESA.

This additional Severe Disability Premium is only paid within ESA to people who meet all three of the below criteria:

· Are in receipt of a disability benefit such as Personal Independence Payment (PIP) either rate of daily living, Attendance Allowance (AA) either rate or Disability Living Allowance (DLA) Middle or high
· Live on their own or count as living on their own
· No one claims Carer’s Allowance for looking after them.

The rate you have detailed below: (Employment and Support Allowance (Income-Related) Support group - 111.65 Enhanced disability premium - 16.80) would suggest that they would not lose out by someone claiming Carer’s Allowance, but I wanted to raise it just in case.

I hope this helps, Alex.

Kindest regards

Carers UK Advice team