I’m new here.

Hi, my dad has recently been diagnosed with dementia and I was wanting to set up support for myself.
He lives 30 miles away from me and still in his own home. He’s 87 and lives alone.
We’ve had a needs assessment done last year before he was diagnosed. He is comfortably well off financially so I know he will probably have to pay for any extra services.
He receives attendance allowance. I have lasting power of attorney and have in the last 2 months taken control of all his finances as he gave out his credit card to someone on the phone.
It’s probably that I need support to know I’m doing the right thing and also how to approach situations.
I would really like him to receive meals delivered , probably the ones from Wiltshire which have seemed good. When I broached this with him he was adamant he could manage, but is on his 3rd microwave as he keeps putting foil in it and I worry about him using the electric hob as he falls asleep so quickly.
Do I just arrange it as a fate accompli so he has time to adjust before he gets too forgetful.
Sorry this is so long! Any advice will be much appreciated

As money is available, arrange for a “cleaner” to go in to do the “heavy” work to save you doing it. Only the cleaner is really a carer keeping an eye on him! Did you know he is exempt from Council Tax as he has den
Mentia as it is a “severe mental impairment”.

If for the time being. You think he is fairly safe. You need to put in some safety procedures. Should he be using a microwave. There are plenty of meals that can go in the oven. Does in need someone there when making meals.

Does he have a pendant alarm system. Are all the rooms - have smoke detectors etc. You could remove the hob knobs.

Not recommending just for you to see what’s out there.

https://www.unicook.co.uk/vulnerable-people-carers

Are you able to put in cameras. Not to spy but strategically placed. Connected to you phone. So you could check a few times a day. Also you could possible contact an alarm system.