Housing after my dad has passed

Hi guys and girls,

Need advice on housing after my dad has passed away.

I’m starting to plan for my that dreaded day ( hoping it’s a long time away) but wanted to know would the housing association have to house me, in a different house after my dad has passed away or would I have to find my own place or would I become homeless ?

Bearing in mind that I work in low paying school chef job

Hi Steven.

That dreaded word SUCCESSION again ?

I’ll let the experts explain … SHELTER :

Can you inherit a housing association tenancy? - Shelter England

Have a good read of the above … and then return to us on the forum.

There is a thread … LAMPCHOP for short … wherein the ultimate happened … said poster was made homeless.

I hope not to have to post the link on your return to the forum.

Tell us a bit more. How long has dad lived there? Did mum ever live there? How long have you lived there?

so little basic information:

My mum passed away years ago then 3 years ago my dad suffered a few mini strokes and now he’s unable to do few things as right side of body he’s lost feeling he pays for a carer to help with baths but all other care need are met by the rest of his children, one does his paperwork, another does doctors and therapy with him and I’m his daily carer eg meals and anything else he wants.

As I’m he’s youngest son, I’m still at home living with him and in the event of him passing ( long time away :crossed_fingers:t2:) I was wondering what would happen to me regards housing ?

We live in an housing association house and my mum was the successor so would that mean I’m on the streets/sofa surfing or would they have to help house me ?

__

We live in an housing association house and my mum was the successor so would that mean I’m on the streets/sofa surfing or would they have to help house me ?

A " Lambchop " brewing ?

What have SHELTER to say on this issue … link posted earlier ?

( Link to the LAMPCHOP thread … worth reading … and saves me repeating meself :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/tips-and-practical-advice/warning-regarding-council-tenancy-succession-31553?hilit=lambchop )

It’s a nasty subject to broach, but do you know if Dad has made a Will?

If not encourage him to do so, while I don’t know your personal circumstances, you did mention Dad was paying for his care. This suggests Dad has money in the bank or he would be getting his care paid for.