Hospital discharge

My mum, whom I care for, is going into hospital in May for a hip replacement operation, this is being carried out in a private hospital but under NHS chose n booked scheme, she lives alone and although I’m her carer I do not live with her and will be unable to be there 24/7, has anyone had experience of this and how to request that she goes into some form of rehab for a couple of weeks to give her 24/7 support, I seem to be getting conflicting advice…any help appreciated thanks

When Mum’s is in hospital you will need to request a needs assessment from Social Service.

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/practical-support/getting-care-and-support/needs-assessment

The timing could be difficult given the time scales and her abilities shown while in hosiptal.

Difficult one to predict.

If you decide to make your own arrangements prior to the hospital stay you may find difficulties in Social Services proving assistance.

Thanks Sunnydispostion I do feel I’m going round in circles with this!! I will try and make contact with social services and see what they advise.

When Mum is discharged she should first have an assessment to determine her mobility and she should be eligible for 6 weeks reablement care.

Our factsheet “Coming out of hospital” has some useful advice

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/practical-support/coming-out-of-hospital

Thanks Sesieq, I will do some more research tomorrow, I have already made enquiries about private rehab but the cost is astronomical roughly £700 pw which although mum could probably afford I really don’t think she should have to.

Julia, the rehab will be arranged when mum is in hospital, if it’s being done by the NHS.

She is still entitled to it if the op itself is done by a private hospital, but in these circumstances you might have to be pushy.
I had two knees done privately, paid for ultimately by my car insurance after an accident, but the hospital denied any knowledge! I had to be very firm and insistent before they found the forms in their office!!

I had someone come to wash my feet and change my compression stockings every day (I nicknamed these my “sexy socks” they were so awful!) As my eldest son lived with me, and I could manage everything else myself, I didn’t need her to help with my laundry etc. which she was very keen to do. (I have a washer/dryer in my ensuite, dirty clothes in, clean dry clothes out!)

You will also need to ensure that all equipment is provided and is at mum’s home BEFORE she is discharged, don’t let her believe, as I did, that it will all come the same day as discharge!

For hospitals, this is a very routine operation, and mum will ultimately really enjoy being pain free again, and able to do so much more. However it takes a while for the body to adjust to being able to move correctly again. Make sure she takes the pain killers prescribed so that she can do all her exercises, and that she does walk when told to, with crutches to start with.

If mum has funds available, I would strongly recommend that she has weekly visits from a private physio to support her recovery. I had this for 6 weeks, in my case paid for by the insurance, the physio told me it was really nice being able to follow a patient through the recovery phase. I know I benefitted, even if it felt like she was being a little Hitler saying “one more time” when it was uncomfortable!

Hi Julia,

I have had hip replacements (at age 30 and in my 40’s). The first two weeks post op are tough and the hospitals are very keen to get people out as soon as possible (even before Covid.) Unless your Mum has someone who can stay with her for the first fortnight, she will need to go into rehab. It’s important that the rehab really is rehab - physio post op is very important and if she is left sitting all day she won’t recover her mobility.

I had rehab care at home and they came to do the washing feet and legs thing and changing my equally sexy stockings. I also had visits from the rehab physio for my second op and they were great.

Depending on the hospital protocol you Mum will likely have the stockings and/or daily anticoagulant injections post op (I had to inject myself.)

She will definitely need equipment provided by an OT ready for once she returns home e.g. toilet frame, additional rails if she has steps/stairs, trolley, perching stool, bed and chair raisers etc if these are too low.

You might be worth looking on this forum Online community for advice and to see if others have had their operation on the NHS but in a private hospital and how they got the care in place afterwards.

Melly1

When I was told I should inject myself, I said they’d have to think about that. No way could I do it!
So I’m the first patient at the Nuffield Hospital in Southampton to have had the tablet equivalent.