Hi new person here! (2)

Hi Arlene here. Currently caring for my 66 year brother who is Blind, deaf and has pancreatic cancer. I’m 60 live alone(well trying to live alone) i have been caring for family members for 16 years now. Now my brother needs care because of his cancer and I’m really struggling. I have suffered with and are being treated for depression and anxiety for 20 years and i dont think i will be able to cope much longer. Caring for my Mam till she died 2014 then my Dad who died jan this year in between looking after my brothers wife who was found to have lymphoma brain tumours last june …(she was my brothers carer till then because blind and deaf) then july last year my brother had a 2nd heart attack then Sep last year he took ill with jaundice and diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 6-12mth to live statistically. He recently had problems spent a week in hospital then came to live with me last Friday. Sorry big story… he is very difficult and a bad tempered man. I am trying to find out… does anyone have an idea how much a full time live in carer costs roughly so he can be in his own home… I live in Redcar in the north east UK. Thankyou xx :question: :-???

That is not acceptable, he is going to need increasingly more and more help. Did anyone ask you if you knew what you were taking on, if you had all the aids you would need, or mention NHS Continuing Healthcare, all the care he will need, free of charge???

Hello Arlene

Sorry to hear about your situation it sounds like a lot to be dealing with. Our help and advice line can give you information on what support is available to you and what your options might be. Do contact them on on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or email advice@carersuk.org

You might find it helpful as well to look through our information pages here:

Best wishes

Jane