Help with Universal Credit after stopping Carers Allowance

Hope you can help me…

Brief synopsis…I applied for Carers Allowance in October 2021 as I was caring for my father. I did not get notification that I was entitled to it until two weeks after he passed away in February 2022. The Carers Allowance was backdated to August and I was to receive this until the end of March 2022.

I knew that as I was on UC, that I would need to pay back some UC as this should have gone down when I got the Carers Allowance…I used the onliune Turn2Us calculators and worked out what I thought I would owe back which was around £750. UC contacted me in March to say this was actually £1,457!

I queried this and I am still to this date going back and forth in my journal trying to get them to understand there mistakes. I am doing all the work for them, telling them what needs to be done, lol.

I am also in receipt of a half-price bus and tram travel card from UC. This expired on 31st May, and I went to my UC appointment to ask for the necessary form to renew for a further 6 months.

I was told that I could not have the form as I am now on intensive 13 week restart to UC after my Carers Allowance ended? It is as if my claim is restarting and I am having to wait the 13 weeks again, although I was still in receipt of UC the whole time.

I have been told this is wrong and that I should be able to claim the half price travel allowance. Does anyone have similar experience or any advice to give.

Many thanks for your help.

Hi & Welcome Tony

All sounds really complicated it’s hard to advice on UC as it’s unique to individuals and hard to answer. Given one would need to know everything that’s held on a UC journal etc.

Contact the carers UK helpline they might be able to help.

Our telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (advice@carersuk.org

Dear Tony

Please check your inbox, I’ve sent a response to your forum from our adviceline.

many thanks
Ingrid