HELP with self employment accounts for carers allowance unit

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and would really like some help please.

I am self employed and due to the pandemic, me and my partner have had to go on universal credits as a couple.

While I have been looking for work as part of my UC commitment, I have also been taking care of my father, such as cleaning his home, washing up, cleaning the house/dishes etc and so decided to apply for carers allowance.

I have 2 questions which I really need help with.

Firstly, I have filled the carers allowance online form, and at the end I have been asked to send my most recent finalised accounts for my business to the carers allowance unit.
I have always done my own accounts and filled my tax return, but after doing some reading, Im not sure exactly which documents the carers allowance unit require from me? Will my self employment tax return be sufficient?

Also If i do get carers allowance, will UC still require me to look for work relating to my self employment as I am spending around 40+ hours a week taking care of my father and wont be able to manage to do both?

Thank you all in advance.

Hi Yas

Easy one first: if you’re in receipt of Carers Allowance you are not required to seek work.

The other part I’ve no experience of so I suggest you contact them directly: 0800 731 0297 should get you started.

Dear Yas

Welcome to our forum, I would suggest you give our helpline a call and see if they are able to help you, they can be contacted on on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (advice@carersuk.org).

Also you may not be aware but we are currently running a series of online weekly meet ups for carers to get together and chat informally. People say they’ve found it really helpful and supportive and it’s nice to be able to take a little bit of time for yourself. The join up details are here: Online meetups | Carers UK

We are also now running a weekly Share and Learn sessions, where we run a series of fun and relaxed online sessions where visiting speakers who share tips and skills on a range of topics - please have a look at the link and see if one grabs your attention. Share and Learn | Carers UK

with kind regards
Ingrid

It’s because they want to work out what work your doing each week as an average. Carers allowance allows you to work and earn up to £132 a week.