Having to go to appointments at Job centre

Hi,

My wife is currently suicidal, having been abused as a child, she is now suffering from Post Natal Depression and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I have always been the one who has worked, but due to her health I have had to stop and become her carer (and our 2 girls). She is currently under the local mental health hospital, who have stated that she is not to be left unsupervised for more than about 40 minutes at a time, that her medication is controlled by me and all sharp objects in the house are hidden.

Yet we have had a call yesterday, saying that she will have to attend weekly appointments at the job centre to see if she is able to work! Its stupid and illogical, but is this common practice for DWP?

Can I kick off, as getting her to the intial appointment when signing up for UC was bad enough, don’t think I can manage it weekly.

You’ll need to get in touch with them but I strongly suggest you contact the Helpline at CUK first. They may be able to tell you what you need to say. Sometimes the right words make the difference.

The Carers UK Telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact them by email (advice@carersuk.org).

Good luck - you have a lot on your plate.