GP Surgery

Myson who has Down’s syndrome got a cold on Good Friday, it seemed to clear up, today he has started with a chesty cough. My wife phones the GP surgery and explains to the receptionist that our son has been rushed into hospital twice in the past 2 years with pneumonia, and this is how it started both times. The receptionist’s reply floored us. “We don’t have any available appointments, but phone later in case anyone cancels”.
Any advice on what we can do. I don’t think we’d be able to turn up at hospital with the current Covid, We’ve been shielding him since March 2020 apart from his stay in hospital last April for pneumonia, and to be honest I don’t think it would be a good idea for our son to sit in a hospital for hours with a good chance of picking up who knows what else.
Any advice on what we can do?

Dial the number you have to ring before going to A&E now, it’s either 111 or 119 I think.
Explain that you don’t want to go to hospital but the doctor’s receptionist isn’t listening to you!
I suspect the conversation will be “tell the receptionist that you’ve spoken to us and the doctor will see you”. Let us know how you get on.

How worrying and ridiculous.

Definitely ring 111.

Melly1