Expenses.. am I in trouble?

Hello All

I am new to the forum and have a question, would much appreciate your input…

I was a carer for my mother and was on carers allowance back from beginning of 2016 to mid 2017, during this time my earnings were £670 a month and my expenses were around £45 a week… so as I understand I was eligible for the carers allowance. Although I do not recall declaring when I started work to the dwp.

I recently began to care for my mother again and applied for carers allowance which was approved, however I have this week received a letter from them saying I was not eligible for the 2016-2017 and I need to pay them it all back from then. I am literally in bits I have never had such pressure before.
I have been working out my expenses from back then (which unfortunately I do not have invoices for- they were for childcare and car/ travel costs) and according to my figures, my earnings minus my expenses made me below £125 per week which I believe made me eligible.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and can give me some advice? I do not know where to turn and how to respond to dwp and am concerned they will ask for evidences, etc. and not hear my situation.

Thank you for reading
Adam

If you do a google search you will find many references to this issue. Type in allowable expenses for carers allowance.

I think Citizens Advice would be you best port of call. Peoples employment varies greatly so it’s difficult to advise. The DWP say yes or no. It’s up to people to challenge there corner.