ESA or income support?

Hello,

I currently receive Carers Allowance for my fiancee who receives PIP Enhanced Care and PIP Standard Mobility. She also receives ESA (Support Group) and she has been informed to add me to her claim now we are living together. We understand that she continues as usual, however what happens to me? I’m her full time carer and there is no way I can leave her alone. Does ESA require frequent visits from myself? What about Income Support, what would be required of both of us if I claim Income Support?

Hope someone can clear this up!

Hi G.

ESA ?

Numerous conditions attached to that flavour of benefit … best know what they are :

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA): Eligibility - GOV.UK

Short of crunching some numbers through an online benefits calculator to achieve the best combination that
produces the greatest amount , a job for either your local CAB or Carers UK Advice Team ( Best by email ).

Links for all three follow :
Benefits Calculator - entitledto - independent | accurate | reliable

Citizens Advice

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/carer-disability-benefits/how-to-contact-the-carers-uk-adviceline-24147

Universal Credit ?

Not mentioned … rolled out on your manor ?
https://universalcreditinfo.net/

If not , that’s one bullet dodged … for now !

Gief, I can’t answer your question I’m afraid.

I just want to check that you know that you can claim Carers Allowance AND have carers to care for your partner at times?
You should have a Carers Assessment from Social Services, to talk to you about any support needs you have.
Your partner should have a Needs Assessment from Social Services.

You should have regular time off at a time that suits you, knowing your OH is being well cared for.

Thanks for getting back to me.

UC has been rolled out however when she made an HB claim she was receiving the SDP on her ESA claim, therefore she wasn’t eligible for UC.

We are receiving HB however we would like to know what we would better off claiming? IC would give us an extra £10 a week. However, is that going to cause WFI interviews for both of us?

What about ESA? It’s £10 less a week however what happens with the WFI for me? She is in the support group but we just need to know what we would be better off claiming which causes the less disruption/intervoews/visits to our lives! It’s already extremely difficult as it is without being hounded by other people.

Thank you again.

Take advice from Chris above. Seek professional help. The whole system is a minefield, and effects of receiving one benefit can at times seriously impact on others, as you have already stated.

x x

Thanks for getting back to me.

Basically, she’s a serious germophobe with severe OCD. This means no physical contact with any other humans whatsoever. There is no way she can have other people around her. Everytime she’s had an assessment, she’s had a major panic attack and burst into tears. It’s gut wrenching tbh. I wouldn’t wish this condition on my worst enemy, I just want her to be calm and happy. She will probably never have a normal life and I will do my best to prevent anything from upsetting her like that.

No holiday for me then it looks like! Good thing I love her! :slight_smile:

Thank you for your kind response.

What type of professional help would you suggest? She is already in receipt of a psychological help and CBT has not helped so far.

If we knew what to expect from both IC and ESA, it would alleviate her concerns a tiny bit, but being thrown into the unknown is bad enough for most people I’m sure!

Seconded … meself ?

Professional help on what combination of eligible benfits / allowances are best suited for you in your situation.

CAB and / or CARERS UK ADVICE TEAM … links posted earlier.

Hi Gief,

It was professional help with your benefits I was talking about. See link below that Chris added for you

Short of crunching some numbers through an online benefits calculator to achieve the best combination that
produces the greatest amount , a job for either your local CAB or Carers UK Advice Team ( Best by email ).

Links for all three follow :

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- > … line-24147

We are unable to ask personal details on forum to ensure your privacy is maintained. Plus each case is unique to an individual/couple/family.

Your local council should be able to advise if you have a welfare officer that can help with benefits. Library can be a good start re local contact details for CAB. Or on link below, right hand side, you can input your postcode to find if a CAB near to you. Whichever is easier

Hope you get sorted soon. I can only imagine how stressed your partner is. I felt when doing forms that is was never ending and no immediate reply. I hated the brown envelopes coming through the door.

In meantime still post on forum, we can still support you if you feel like giving vent at any time.

x x