Equipment

Hi… i need advice on who is responsible for the yearly servicing and maintaining my 12 yr olds hoisting and lift … as i am on carers allowance and unemployed … but there asking me for the payments… i live in a council house adapted by social services…the social services said there not responsible … other carers are saying they are… i am confused… thanks… :

Hi Debbie.

One for SHELTER , the acknowledged experts om social housing :

Repairs and maintenance in council and housing association homes - Shelter England

Contact details :

Get help from Shelter - Shelter England

My wife’s hoist is serviced twice annually by the provider, there’s been nothing to repair up to now, but no charge for servicing and nor would I expect there to be.

We have no contract with them as such, so there’s no basis for any charges, it’s just supplied free.

A real post code lottery , AyJay.

There are guidelines … as set out in the SHELTER link but … no one size fits all contract / terms and conditions in force nationwide.

Under one LA , repairs may be free … under another , liability falls on the tenant.

Much will depend on what’s in the ( 1 ) tenancy agreement … and ( 2 ) any service contract signed before installation.

One element not mentioned … household insurance … any possible help there if it’s needed ?