Enquiry regarding caring for two people

Hi.
I have been officially caring for my mum 24/7 and receiving carers allowance for over five years. She lives with me, and my husband.
Sadly, this year, my husband became seriously ill, and he too qualified for attendance allowance.
In August he was rushed into hospital for 23 nights, and I had to put my mum into emergency respite care. She will be there until 24th October as I am not physically able to cope with both of them at present.
I informed the Carers Allowance dept. of my change in circumstances.
Because my mum was in respite, self funded, my carers allowance has been stopped. This is despite the fact I am now caring for my husband day and night. Their answer was “you can only officially care for one person at a time”.
I really don’t know what to do. Any suggestions?
Helena

Hi Helena.

Change of circumstances … literally swopping one caree for another ?

If both are receiving Attendance Allowance … the key element for CA … I do not see the problem.

__

You look after someone who gets a qualifying disability benefit.

This means the person you are looking after has to be getting :

the middle or the higher rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

either rate of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

either rate of Attendance Allowance > or Constant Attendance Allowance of the normal maximum rate paid with the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions schemes.

Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

__
I would contact the CA Unit and argue your case … built on firm ground.

Contact the Carer's Allowance Unit - GOV.UK

Even I would attribute common sense to the DWP … at times ???

Once re-established , back dated to the date it ceased !