Assisted Living & carers allowance eligibility

Hi Folks,
I am a Carer for my Mother, and receive Carers Allowance.
My Mother has just moved to a 1 bed Assisted Living Appartment from a 3 bedroom house. She now receives a Meal every day, and there is 24/7 support available if she needs it.
I am still visiting virtually every day, sorting her medication, taking care of her finances, taking her shopping & to her appointments & making sure she is okay as she has balance problems

Does this affect my Carers Allowance eligibility in anyway ?? :question:

The main reason for her moving was the House was too big & she couldn’t cope, so I still care for her, but I don’t have the responsibility of the upkeep of the house.
Any advice would be welcome.
Thank you

Yep … CA will still be payable PROVIDED THAT the criteria is met :



The person you care for

The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:
Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate
Attendance Allowance
Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
Armed Forces Independence Payment

Your eligibility
All of the following must apply:

you’re 16 or over
you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
you’ve been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this does not apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)
you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces (you might still be eligible if you’re moving to or already living in another EEA country or Switzerland)
you’re not in full-time education
you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more
you’re not subject to immigration control
your income is less than £123 a week after tax, national insurance and expenses

Changes to report where necessary :

Carer’s Allowance: report changes

You must report changes in circumstances if you’re claiming or have applied for Carer’s Allowance, for example if:

you change, start or leave your job
you start earning more than £123 a week
you stop being a carer
you stop providing at least 35 hours of care a week
you take a holiday or go into hospital - even if you arrange care while you’re away
the person you care for goes into hospital or takes a holiday

Thanks Chris,
Nothing has really changed, except house move.
Still doing virtually the same as before, but at least I know she has a daily meal & 24/7 support is available if required.
It’s a few less things to worry about.

you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone

Sound like you are still doing this albeit in a different setting.

I wish there was another rate for 24 x 7.

Your welcome.

Moving out from a 3-bedroom house into one-bedroom assisted living centers looks like a great deal. I understand your feelings, but you did your best. I think they will take care of your mother, and you still are close to her.

This is an old thread, I am locking it.