Dementia care-givers support groups

Hello

My mother has dementia and even though I don’t live with her I am the main caregiver and I would like to know if there are any support groups I can attend in person in Hampshire please.

I don’t mind traveling so distance within reason isn’t a problem. I don’t want to go somewhere that will have in attendance the actual dementia patient because I’d like to find a support group just for the caregivers in order to offload and chat with each other.

I live in Park Gate, Southampton, SO31 post code.

Any advice would be most welcome

HI Mark and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I suggest you checkout the Alzheimer’s website (covers ALL types of dementia, not just Alzheimer’s despite the name !) to see if they run regular support sessions near you -

When I cared for my Mother who had Alzheimer’s I used to attend regular support sessions run by my local branch - they used to run two different sessions. One just for those caring where we could access information and exchange tips etc. The second was a Dementia Cafe type of meeting that we could attend with the person we cared for - coffee and cake and a chance for our caree to have an “outing”.

Hi Mark

Welcome to the Forum, I hope you are finding it interesting so far.

Just wanted to highlight that we are currently running Forum Focus, an opportunity for Forum users to hear more about Carers UK’s work.

Find all the posts here: https://www.carersuk.org/forum/48

Thanks

Aaron

Hi Mark, I’m in the New Forest.

Carers Together in Love Lane, Romsey may have information for you.

Otherwise, contact your local Social Services office. I know there used to be coffee mornings held in Eastleigh for those caring for someone with mental health issues.
I saw an ad for an Alzheimer Society Support Worker a few years ago, to work from Lymington, but don’t know if that post still exists.

Is mum receiving Attendance Allowance? Did you know that she has been exempt from Council Tax since the day of her diagnosis? A claim can be backdated. The highest figure I’ve heard of so far is £8,000+!