Council Tax

Can anyone advise me please…

My son receives DLA and I am his main carer. Am I entitled to any reductions to my council tax?

He does not use a wheelchair.

I have read a few posts on here, and notice that some others have received reductions and banding ranges changed.

Thanks

What is the nature of your son’s disability?

Autism/ADHD

If he is over 18, he may come within the “severe mental impairment” category, and therefore is exempt from Council Tax altogether.
This is one of the best kept secrets of the CT system, some people in councils even don’t know!
If you are caring for him, and he’s over 18 then you may be exempt too.
Contact your local council, and if you are not sure, the CUK helpline.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/severe-mental-impairment-dementia-council-tax-rebate/

THANK YOU

MY SON IS AGED 12, THERFORE IM UNSURE IF WE WILL BE ENTITLED TO ANT REDUCTION IN COUNCIL TAX.

WOULD I BE BEST TO CONTACT CARERS HELPLINE?

Unfortunately, you are not in the exempt category until he is 18. Google Council Tax who has to pay and look at the .gov site. However if there is no other adult in the household you may be entitled to the Single Person’s discount, or reduced charge due to low income. Are you getting DLA? Aware of the Family Fund?
I was in a similar position as you, it’s so unfair.

I’m not a single adult therfore won’t be entitled to any reductions.

My son is awarded DLA. no I haven’t heard of the Family fund?

I only just learned that as a carer you get consessions on days out tickets etc…

You should have received details about the Family Fund with the DLA information.
It’s government money, not charity money, which will pay for various things you might need. They paid for a holiday for my family, when funds were tight.
There are all sorts of carer goes free/subsidised schemes. My son has a “Companion” Bus pass as he needs someone to support him on a bus, this is a useful card, as it shows he needs a carer. The National Trust will allow a disabled member to have two carers free, my son likes NT properties, especially the food and clean toilets! Paignton Zoo have a free scheme.
Easiest to check before going anywhere, I don’t like discussing my son’s disability in front of him.
Sometimes you will be asked for your ID, avoid Mevagissey Model Railway Centre, they were really horrible to me, almost had me in tears!! Most steam railways give discounts, not the Paignton to Dartmouth though.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/grants-low-income/