coronavirus

hi i sent a email to boris johnson with my concerns i dont think that i would get a reply but this is what i have said , only got auto reply at the moment

Dear sir

As we are all ware of the situation around the world with coronavirus like a lot of people watch the latest news and what the government is doing to support
The uk and given them advice and rules to follow , although I look at the latest updates I cant see anything about carers I am not talking about nhs I am talking about family carers
Who have to support there loved ones with pre existing conditions like bipolar disorder ,diabetic , asthma, copd , I am a main carer who has bronchiectasis , chronic pain in spine , reactive depression . we both have more pre existing conditions but these are the main issues we suffer from , the government has set rules saying that to go out only for medical , exercise , shopping for essentials , if you have pre existing conditions and you have a cold the drs or hospitals wont see you because it is a symptom of covid 19 but it could also be something to do with a pre existing condition , with exercise the government has advised only once a day but if you have a pet dog you have to walk them more than once a day otherwise they will do there toilet indoors , with shopping for essentials only to shop once a week ,I am a main carer who has no other support at home like a lot of people I went to Tesco to get essentials I was advised by Tesco that I should not have been there as being a carer but I needed food etc . I see from the news on shopping delivery’s could be up to a month or more when will this issue with delivery’s for vulnerable and elderly people be sorted otherwise you will continue to see vulnerable and elderly people in supermarkets taking a chance in order to survive . I have seen about benefits going up in April I had a yearly update and my benefit has gone up by £3.00 do you honestly think the benefits system is doing enough to support those who are vulnerable and elderly with in the world uk crises at the moment . I have seen about advice on masks concerning coronavirus and the impact on the news , why does not the government supply masks and alcohol hand gel as it is advised if someone in your household has a visitor , etc then the people in the house should be wearing masks while the visitor is there and as we have seen sky high prices for the basic equipment needed to support .
We are registered with the government vulnerable lists but we have only got a text saying stay in save life’s save nhs , is the government doing enough to support the disabled and vulnerable at there time of need …

Regards martin

Dean

Its good you took the time to write, you have brought up some valid points.

I have been trying to think of a word that describes family carers through this crisis. Now I think I’ve found it.

INVISIBLE

The “clap for carers” Thursday evening has really annoyed me, I’m not knocking the NHS or paid carers, but what about OUR ARMY of unpaid carers that aren’t just working in a crisis, but every day, every week, every year. Paid under 70 a week, way below the minimum wage, no right to holidays, or even sick leave??

Come on Carers UK, please raise our profile during all this.

Especially the problem of family carers being able to access food for our loved ones who are too sick or disabled to get out themselves.

Clap for the NHS ?

Pray for family carers ?

INVISIBLE … and ABANDONED.

Agreed.

Dean

Great letter covering a lot of concerns that we have as carers at this time. Susieq wrote on another thread that carers uk are also contacting government to ask for clarification which is really good.

Hope we all get some answers soon.

I am so glad we are all able to speak to each other on here.

Don’t leave out our very own " Lord Kitch " here :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/news-and-campaigns/latest-caring-news/lord-kitch-poster-our-tombstone-all-our-concerns-under-one-thread-some-20-years-veterans-make-up-the-majority-27982?hilit=lord%20kitch

The old boy needs a wash and brush up for more woes no thanks to coronavirus.

Taken for granted, only more so in this new era.

we have got age concern coming in tomorrow morning for a assessment with the guidelines from the goverment in force how can adult Social care services provide care to those in need with the risk of catching coronavirus , we was advised by family member they should not be coming in as advised by goverment

Dean … let us know how you get on.

VITAL for us to learn of first hand experiences in this enforced , new ball game.

i contacted adult social care this morning care worker is working from home awaiting a call back about care workers coming in and goverment guidelines , i have also asked about my wifes safe guarding as it was passed on by her gp practice , my wife has been under safe guarding before over bipolar disorder where if her mental health rises she can be manic and hit and kick me as she reacts to change , there has been several issues with hospitals dischargeing her over medical issues all though i warn staff about her mental state at the time they discharge her and then i have to call the police in to get her back to hospital as she becomes violent…

just heard from care worker on phone she said the care from age concern has been prosponed untill we are out of isolation now we was at hospital due to me getting chest pain we explained to hospital dr that we are both vulnerable hospital said to self isolate for 2 weeks from the 12 march 2020 we spoke to our dr last week who said due to my wifes cough all though had it for 9 weeks was to self isolate for 1 week me for 2 weeks so you might as well say 2 weeks due to i am her main carer , then the goverment says vulnerable and elderly need to self isolate for 12 weeks , this is very confusing ! adult social care said they will go back to gp pratice to talk with our own gp … adult social care said they will get back to us . they also said that if care was to happen that the carers involved would have protective equipment …

Another one to bounce off Carers UK ?

Hello Dean

I’ve just re-read Carers UK’s coronavirus guidance in relation to your situation. This can be found here:
https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/health/looking-after-your-health/coronavirus-covid-19

I think the confusion over the number of weeks you should self-isolate arises from being required to self-isolate for two weeks because your wife has a cough which is a potential symptom of coronavirus, and because the NHS has asked 1.5 million ‘vulnerable people’ to self-isolate for 12 weeks.

This page of our guidance explains the difference between self-isolation, social distancing and shielding. See ‘Practical Guidance’ towards the bottom of the page.
https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/health/looking-after-your-health/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-further-support

If you or your wife are one of the1.5 million vulnerable people who have received a letter from the NHS you can register for further support here www.gov.uk/cornonavirus-extremely-vulnerable or call 0800 028 8327, the Government’s new dedicated helpline. If you or your wife has received this NHS letter, the instructions are very clear in relation to social isolation. They say that you must stay at home at all times and avoid all face-to-face contact for at least 12 weeks, except with healthcare workers continuing to provide essential medical care.

In relation to visits from care workers, our guidance states that, ‘Visits from people who provide essential support such as healthcare, personal support with daily needs or social care should continue.’ However, it also states that, ‘care workers must stay away if you/they have any of the symptoms of coronavirus.’

The Government’s ‘guidance on home care provision’ during the coronavirus pandemic can be found through the following link:

If you’d like specific advice on what to do next I would suggest contacting the Government’s helplne (see above) or Carers UK’s helpline at advice@carersuk.org

Wishing you and your wife well

Michael

we are very vulnerable i have got bronchiectasis in which i can produce different bugs in my lungs that make me unwell i have been on 8 lots of different antibotics since xmas
my wife has got copd asthma sleep apena we both get infections i have reg under goverment website for vulnerable awaiting letter in post in the mean time i am on my own looking after my self and my wife and dog , i just had a phone call from my worker who has asked my to contact age conern about protocols that they have in place as we are in isolation no one according to adult social care is allowed in but they have to wear the right gear when they do , all though are isolation period ends on the 6 th april no one will come in before according to adult social care and then you have to worry about people coming in who might have the virus even after you have gone through the isolation period …