Child Tax Credit Benefit Help Please

Hi my name is Charl, I am mum to 2 children. Up until July 2020 I was receiving child tax credits with family element, disability element and severe disability element for 1 child. She gets DLA including High Rate Care component. I am in receipt of carers allowance since cannot work due to my child’s disabilities, etc. June 2020 I renewed my tax credits online, then went to apply for 30 hr childcare for my youngest. After a silly mistake on the form missed ticking a box for receipt of tax credits, I was applied tax free childcare instead. HMRC stopped my child tax credits without writing to advise me they would be stopping and why. HMRC have not sent a reward notice for my renewal filled in. I spoke to childcare services who agreed to cancel the tax free childcare due to the application error, they informed HMRC and HMRC refusing to reinstate my tax credits. I challenged this and now at adjudicator stage as HMRC state I am not entitled to get child tax credits reinstated. I am at a loss as what to do since every bit of information, policy law, tax credit advice states if in receipt of DLA plus high rate care component, you are entitled to severe disability element, further more if entitled to severe disability element then you are entitled to keep your child tax credits. In addition it states child disability will be protected from moving to universal credit at the moment and I cannot claim universal credit due to been entitled to the severe disability element. Please please could someone help advise me what the law is around entitlement of child tax credits? Also what I can do to get them reinstated. HMRC have acted unlawfully due to not informing me my tax credits were going to stop or have been stopped, or gave me an option to ask for mandatory reconsideration. I am loosing over £600 per month since July and can not afford to live off DLA and carers allowance. HELP PLEASE

Hi Charlotte?
Welcome to the forum.

I have no knowledge or experience of this; but the helpline should be able to advise.

You can email us at > adviceline@carersuk.org > and we will respond to your enquiries within 10 working days, although it can often be sooner.

Our telephone helpline providing information is open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm - 0808 808 7777

Melly1

How old is the child?

8 years old

Contact your MP

They helped us a few years ago with a tax credit problem.

Depends on how good the MP is as they vary.

We did have a very good one.

Good luck