Carers element, allowance and LCW?

Hi :slight_smile:

I was hoping for some advice. I currently receive universal credit, ‘limited capability for work’ and ‘carers element’. I was working until recently but have had to leave my job due to my own health issues following ongoing surgeries. The person I care for receives PIP and I was going to apply for Carers allowance now I am having to leave work.

I’m just a bit confused how all the benefits intertwine really. Can I claim carers allowance and carers element at the same time? Also, I have a work allowance tied to my limited capability for work so can earn up to £500 without my benefits being effected. Will care allowance be counted as part of my work allowance? I read about it being taken off £1 for £1 which would leave me with not much at all… scary.

Thanks so much for any replies, it is all so confusing going from a full time working wage so just trying to figure my money out. Really appreciate any help with this.

Ruth :slight_smile:

Hi Ruth,

welcome to the forum.

I suggest you contact the helpline

Our telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (> advice@carersuk.org> )

Melly1

Thank you, I will do :slight_smile: