Carers support


I am looking for a carer who can be paid the carers allowance, however I don’t have a family member or friend who is unemployed and eligible. Is there another way to employ a carer for carers allowance?
Thank you

Hi Rachel,

carers allowance is a pittance that can be paid to a family member, friend, neighbour or acquaintance who supports you - it certainly isn’t a wage and no one would want to be employed to give paid care in excess of 35 hours a week for £67.60. That’s less than a £2 an hour.

If you want paid care, you will be more likely to find someone by having a Needs assessment and it happening that way: Needs assessment | Carers UK

You might also be eligible for Attendance Allowance and this can be used to pay someone Attendance Allowance | Carers UK - although they would want at least minimum wage

From 1 April 2021, National Minimum Wages and National Living Wage Rates will increase as follows: From £8.72 to £8.91 per hour for workers aged 23 and over. From £8.20 to £8.36 an hour for workers aged 21 – 22. From £6.45 to £6.56 an hour for workers aged 18 – 20.


Hi Rachel,

Wishing you a warm welcome to the forum.

Melly1 has already provided some really useful information regarding carers allowance, and I would also recommend contacting the Carers UK Helpline on on 0808 808 7777 (Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm) or, as the team will be able to discuss your circumstances with you.

Best wishes,