Carers element and childcare


So i have been told by a friend that claiming the carers elements will work out the best for me rather than claiming carers allowance please could you advise, my situation is this:

I am currently working part time and my partner is working too but we claim universal credit to help with childcare costs. I am needing to give up work to care for my grandma and will still need childcare whilst i do this but does anybody know if i just get the carers element on universal credit instead of carers allowance will i still be able to claim back for the childcare costs if it’s only my husband working and I am my grandmas carer?

Thank you so much, its all so confusing


you are best to contact the helpline

Our telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (>> )

who can talk through your options with you or contact the CAB. Alternatively you could work out different claiming options on a benefit calculator