Income support

Hello my name is Simon and i have started caring for my wife who has several chronic conditions.
I applied for carers allowance & received it i also had to apply for universal credit due to no longer working.
They have awarded us a basic payment but haven’t added their carers element.
All they have done is deduct my carers allowance from our joint uc account.
We receive a housing element but over all it is not enough for us to live on.
Would i be entitled to apply for income support or any other financial help.
Thanks for reading. :slight_smile:

UC is so complicated is best to check with…

Carers UK and/or citizens advice.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/benefits-check/

Yep … benefits calculator … seconded.

How Much Universal Credit (UC) Will I Get? | Turn2us

__

Universal Credit (UC) - How much Universal Credit (UC) will I get ?

Universal Credit is a means-tested benefit for people of working-age who are on a low income.

Worth exploring the above Turn2Us link … such goodies as the following :

__

Additional Elements of Universal Credit (UC)

Carers Element

You can get this addition of £160.20 per month if you are caring for a severely disabled person for at least 35 hours a week. You do not have to claim Carer’s Allowance to get this element.

Unlike Carers Allowance where you are prevented from claiming if you are earning above a certain level (£123pw for 2019/20), for the Carers Element your level of earnings does not prevent you from claiming. However, as the Carers Element is a part of Universal Credit,which is means-tested, your earnings and other income will affect whether you can get this and how much universal credit you are entitled to.

If you are making a joint claim you can get a carer element each if you both qualify for it, but you cannot be caring for the same severely disabled person.

If the Carer Element has NOT beed added , best to contact their helpline direct :
__

Contact Universal Credit

It’s easiest to use your online journal.

Or, you can call 0800 328 5644 (Textphone: 0800 328 1344) Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (closed on bank holidays). Calls to 0800 numbers are free from landlines and mobiles.

" Not enough to live on. " … ?

Housing Benefit element … how big is the gap ?

Cases in excess of £ 500 per month not uncommon … in London , anyting upto £ 1,000 have been reported !

For background :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/carer-disability-benefits/carers-claiming-benefits-just-how-secure-is-that-roof-over-your-head-housing-allowance-council-tax-problems-34469?hilit=roof

Join the chorus … 1 in 4 … 15 MILLION survive below the official poverty line … HALF the carer army of 7.8 MILLION
included in that figure !