carers allowance

hi there I have a severe learning difficulties son who is 31 and suffers from down syndrome he lives at home with me and my partner I have tried for years to live a normal life and go out to work like everyone else but have found it difficult due to my sons challenging behaviour I have very recently had to give yet another job up due to his behaviour and totally refusing to go to his day centre I have now put in a claim for carers allowance which I am still waiting for the decision my partner works unsocialable hours and is exhausted most of the time. is there any entitlement for prescription for me as the are expensive and we are on a low income

Hi Linda.

Free prescriptions … NHS web site for the full sp :

Who can get free prescriptions - NHS


You can get free NHS prescriptions if, at the time the prescription is dispensed, you:

are 60 or over
are under 16
are 16 to 18 and in full-time education
are pregnant or have had a baby in the previous 12 months and have a valid maternity exemption certificate (MatEx)
have a specified medical condition and have a valid medical exemption certificate (MedEx)
have a continuing physical disability that prevents you going out without help from another person and have a valid MedEx
hold a valid war pension exemption certificate and the prescription is for your accepted disability
are an NHS inpatient

You’re also entitled to free prescriptions if you or your partner – including civil partner – receive, or you’re under the age of 20 and the dependant of someone receiving:

Income Support
Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
Universal Credit and meet the criteria

If you’re entitled to or named on:

a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate – if you don’t have a certificate, you can show your award notice; you qualify if you get Child Tax Credits, Working Tax Credits with a disability element (or both), and have income for tax credit purposes of £15,276 or less
a valid NHS certificate for full help with health costs (HC2)

People named on an NHS certificate for partial help with health costs (HC3) may also get help.

Find out more about the NHS Low Income Scheme (LIS).

People with certain medical conditions can get free NHS prescriptions if:

they have one of the conditions listed below, and
they hold a valid medical exemption certificate

Medical exemption certificates are issued on application to people who have:

a permanent fistula (for example, a caecostomy, colostomy, laryngostomy or ileostomy) requiring continuous surgical dressing or requiring an appliance
a form of hypoadrenalism (for example, Addison’s disease) for which specific substitution therapy is essential
diabetes insipidus or other forms of hypopituitarism
diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone
myasthenia gravis
myxoedema (hypothyroidism requiring thyroid hormone replacement)
epilepsy requiring continuous anticonvulsive therapy
a continuing physical disability that means the person can’t go out without the help of another person – temporary disabilities don’t count, even if they last for several months

They are also issued for people undergoing treatment for cancer:

including the effects of cancer, or
the effects of current or previous cancer treatment

Read the medical exemption certificate FAQ.
Check that you are eligible

There’s a simple way to find out if you are entitled to free NHS prescriptions and any help with other NHS costs. Just use this eligibility checker.

How to apply for a medical exemption certificate

Ask your doctor for an FP92A form to apply for a medical exemption certificate. Your GP, hospital or service doctor will sign the form to confirm that your statement is correct. At your GP’s discretion, a member of the practice who has access to your medical records can also sign the form.

Your certificate will be valid from 1 month before the date the NHS Business Authority receives the application form.

The MedEx lasts for 5 years and then needs to be renewed. You may receive a reminder that your certificate needs to be renewed. If you don’t receive a reminder, it’s your responsibility to make sure it’s renewed.

You can find more information about the application process and refunds on the NHS Business Authority website.

If you already have an exemption certificate, you can check its validity here.
Free prescriptions for cancer patients

Prescription charges for cancer patients were abolished on April 1 2009.

Exemption certificates will be issued to those applicants who, in their doctor’s judgement, are receiving treatment for:

the effects of cancer, or
the effects of current or previous cancer treatment

Guidance about the extension of the list of medical conditions has been issued to doctors. It includes guidance on who the medical exemption is intended to cover.
Exemption for renal dialysis patients

Any renal dialysis patient who has a permanent fistula (permanent means lasting indefinitely) that requires an appliance or surgical dressing is entitled to medical exemption if they have completed application form FP92A and a doctor has signed the form to confirm the condition.

Whether or not you have a permanent fistula that requires an appliance or surgical dressing is a matter for your doctor’s clinical judgement.

The criteria are met where there’s a clinical need for a permanent fistula to be covered by a surgical dressing (for example, between haemodialysis treatments) or by an appliance (such as a catheter for peritoneal dialysis).
Exemption for pregnant women

If you are pregnant or have had a baby in the last 12 months, you get free:

NHS prescriptions – but only if you have a valid maternity exemption certificate NHS dental treatment – when you were accepted for a course of treatment To apply for your maternity exemption certificate, contact your doctor, midwife or health visitor.

Your certificate will last until 12 months after the expected date of birth of your baby. If your baby is born early, you can continue to use your certificate until it expires.

If your baby is born late, you can apply for an extension. If you apply after your baby is born, your certificate will run for 12 months from your baby’s birth.

For more information on maternity exemption certificates, visit the NHS Business Services Authority website.
I am on a low income – how can I get help with NHS charges

If you’re on a low income, you may be eligible to receive financial help through the NHS Low Income Scheme.

To apply for an HC2 certificate, you should complete form HC1, which is available from Jobcentre Plus offices or most NHS hospitals. Your doctor, dentist or optician may be able to give you one, too. You can also get an HC1 form by calling 0300 123 0849.

Whether you qualify for help is based on a comparison between your weekly income and assessed requirements at the time the claim is made. Read NHS: help with health costs for more information about requirements.

You qualify for a full help HC2 certificate (which includes free NHS prescriptions) if your income is less than or equal to your requirements, or your income is greater than your requirements by no more than half the current English prescription charge.

You qualify for a limited help HC3 certificate if your income is greater than your requirements by more than half the current English prescription charge. The HC3 certificate shows how much you have to pay towards your health costs.

Certificates are usually valid for periods of between 6 months and 5 years, depending on your circumstances.

Find out more about the NHS Low Income Scheme (LIS).
How can I claim a refund

Ask your pharmacist, hospital or doctor for the refund form (FP57) when you pay for your prescription. You can’t get one later. You have to apply for a refund within 3 months of paying the prescription charge.

If you receive Universal Credit and meet all the criteria to be entitled for help with health costs but didn’t get a refund form (FP57), contact the NHS Business Services Authority. They’ll consider applications for refunds on a case by case basis.

If you paid for a prescription prepayment certificate (PPC) and have become exempt from paying for prescriptions, you may be able to get some or all of the money back for your PPC.

An explanation of how to claim a refund for your PPC fee can be found on the NHS Business Services Authority website. You can also get the leaflet from the Department of Health publications order line on 0300 123 0849.
Important numbers

Dental services helpline – 0300 330 1348
NHS Low Income Scheme helpline – 0300 330 1343
Prescription services helpline – 0300 330 1349
Queries about medical exemption certificates – 0300 330 1341
Queries about prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs) – 0300 330 1341
Queries about tax credit certificates – 0300 330 1347
Call 0300 123 0849 to order a paper copy of the HC12, HC5 and HC1 (SC) forms
Call 0300 330 1343 for all other queries

We qualified on the “Low Income Scheme” a while ago.

However, as the mum of someone with SLD myself, it sounds as if the time has come for your son to move out, while you are still able to help him settle in, especially as he is refusing to go to the day centre to give you a break.

Start by asking for an updated needs assessment for your son, and carers assessment for you. Are you getting any help from the NHS LD Team. In Hampshire we have a new Challenging Behaviour Team. Is there one where you live?