Care home issues

Hi all
I am enjoying the posts on the boards and they are also very useful
I have a question regarding my parents home.
I am carer to both my parents but mostly my mum who needs a wheelchair and frame to get around. They are both in their mid eighties.
I live with them and do all the daily tasks etc.
I heard somewhere that if they both had to go into a residential care i would no longer be able to live at our home as they would need to sell to raise funds. I have no other property and have lived here all my life… i am in my mid 50s
Is it too late now to hand the house over to my sister ( i dont want to own it for financial reasons)
So i dont loose my home if they had to go into care.
I hope that wont be the case as i manage caring for them and would prefer to continue but they are not getting younger and are becoming more fragile

Any advice would be appreciated

Hi Marc … your posting raises numerous questions.

First off , AGE UK … and the basics of moving into a care home :

Care homes | Information and Advice | Age UK

__

Care homes.

Moving into a care home, or choosing one for a loved one, can feel daunting. We’re here to help you make the best choice for you, with tips on how to find a good care home and advice on paying for it.

AGE UK … housing options in general :

Housing choices | Residential and Home options for old age | Age UK

__

Housing options

Starting to think more about where you live? There are lots of options available, from renting to sheltered housing or residential care.

AGE UK … financing … particularly important from your standpoint :

__

Paying for care

Social care isn’t free, so you will need to pay for some of your care. We can help you work out how much it will cost, how to pay and what to do if you’re worried about the costs of your care.

Allied to the last link , AGE UK … DO I HAVE TO SELL MY PROPERTY ?

__

Do I have to sell my home to pay for care ?

Your ability to pay for care will be worked out through a means test. Your home will not be included if you’re arranging care and support at home or if you go into a care home on a temporary basis. > If you move into a care home permanently, your home will not be included if your partner still lives there or, in certain circumstances, a relative.

Those are the basics for you to peruse at your leisure.
If you are aged under 60 at the time a parent moves into a care home , your interest is at risk under current Government policy !

A very detailed guide from … guess who ? … AGE UK covering the whole scenario … 44 pages worth :

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/information-guides/ageukig06_care_homes_inf.pdf

Your position … This Is Money ( Daily Mail ) article … STRONGLY recommended :
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-5171703/Will-sister-cared-dad-homeless.html

__

Will my sister who cared for our poorly dad be made homeless after he moves to a care home ?

ANCILLARY / RELATED CONCERNS :

( Wills / power of attorney / benefits / Council Tax disregard / discount / Needs and Carer Assessments … all in course / place ??? )

( I assume that CHC / NHS Continuing healthcare is NOT a factor here ??? )

( Caring alone ? What outside care are you getting … that Needs Assessment ? )

Enough from me , others will be along to add their insights.

If someone moves into residential care, the value of the house is NOT taken into consideration if a partner or someone over 60 is living there.
As it is your lifelong home, that should also be taken into consideration, the council should not make you homeless.

Have your parents given you or your sister Power of Attorney?
Made a will?

Do they have savings in excess of £46,000 between them? (yes/No)

Thanks fot reply
My sister will be the sole inheritor of the property .due to my financial situation i do not want to own a property.
We have an agreement that when my parents pass my sister will own the house but i will live there as long as i need to
That is in rhe will

I have lived at the house since i was 7 years old
I am not sure of power of attorney

quote=bowlingbun post_id=420406 time=1576933500 user_id=333]
If someone moves into residential care, the value of the house is NOT taken into consideration if a partner or someone over 60 is living there.
As it is your lifelong home, that should also be taken into consideration, the council should not make you homeless.

Have your parents given you or your sister Power of Attorney?
Made a will?

Do they have savings in excess of £46,000 between them? (yes/No)
[/quote]

Marc.

I trust you will explore those links I posted ?

There are many avenues which need exploring , and difficult questions to be answered.

Have you considered your future position if your sister needs residential care or dies? A share of the property would ensure that your own rights were protected.

As Chris has said, there is so much to consider, it’s vital that you read up as much as possible and don’t bury your head in the sand thinking “that will never happen to me” because one day, it just might!!!