Benefits query DLA, ESA & Carers Allowance

I am new to the forum but have been with Carers UK for sometime.

My brother is currently in hospital following a cardiac arrest and further complications since his stay.
Prior to this he lives with me (also his carer & appointee).
What exactly happens in regards to his ESA and DLA while he is at hospital and what if any does this effect the Carers Allowance.

Thanks

Erolly

Hi Erolly,

If you are aged 18 or over, payments of Disability Living Allowance (DLA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Attendance Allowance (AA) you get will stop after you have been in hospital for 28 days. … If your DLA, PIP or AA payments stop, they will be paid again as soon as you come out of hospital.

Benefits that stop being paid if you go into hospital - Turn2uswww.turn2us.org.uk › Benefit-guides › Benefits-that-stop

There is info about reporting a hospital stay re ESA here Going into hospital if you get benefits - GOV.UK There are different types of ESA, so am unsure re what happens with this when someone goes into hospital.

Re Carers Allowance;

If someone gets Carer’s Allowance for looking after you, their benefit will stop after you have been in hospital for 28 days.

If someone who was getting Carer’s Allowance was also getting additional amounts in their other benefits because they are a carer, the additional amount will carry on being paid for eight weeks after the Carer’s Allowance stops.

Also on Turn2us website.

Melly1

Melly1

Thanks again. So easy to forget about the benefits situation when a lot is happening.

Erolly

I agree. Especially when dealing with a family member being very poorly and all that that entails.

Melly1