Benefits and full time residential care

I wonder if anyone can help me, I would appreciate any advice before I even try to phone the DWP.
Just a quick background. I am my spouse’s full time carer, he has been living at home since his discharge from hospital 10 years ago. He receives contribution based ESA and PIP enhanced rates, I claim Carers Allowance.
His condition has been managed until recently, without going into too much detail the support we receive have told us that they are withdrawing their service. His social worker has managed to get him into respite for a minimum period of 3 or 4 weeks after which he will be reassessed.
Obviously in the short term this will not affect his benefits but if he then goes into full time residential care this will affect what money that comes into the house. I gave up my job to look after him full time.
The social worker has said that he will still receive benefits when he is in full time residential care and a proportion of the benefits would be automatically set aside for the upkeep of the marital home. Is this information correct?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Hi Cheechee

I think your best port of call would be the Carers UK Helpline, email them with all the facts.

Carers UK information and support
Our telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (

You could also ask Age UK for information

I agree with Breezey - but I suggest you use the email address as you can give more information and they can research the answer first.

I once reclaimed £8,000 from Hampshire on behalf of mum after she moved into residential care.
Two top tips Do NOT sign anything.
Do NOT believe anything a social worker tells you when money is involved!!!
Your situation isn’t straightforward. The helpline is very good, they once made me £50 a week better off!