Advise Needed Direct payments

Hello,I am a full time carer for my Poorly husband, who has terminal cancer of prostate bones and lung, also severely sighted in both eyes & deaf & suffers from osteoarthritis in hips and knees. He has carers in twice a day as I have health issues my self with anxiety & osteoarthritis in hips and knees & hands.We get 7 and a half hours care,then twice a week 4 hours to help get my husband out in the community. But I am fearful they the social services will take this care away.My Husband is 71 & I am 62.I am utterly exhausted as well.I have a failed hip replacement owing to no one caring for me!! The social services simply don’t believe me.!! I have not had a proper break away,I realize that there are other people who are worse off.So sorry to moan.!! My Hubby is not bed bound thank goodness.His treatment is working.He doesn’t want to go into respite as we are a team,so we just have to focus on days out and meals out with friends,when we can.i simply dread Hubbys next review.I have a pa who help us once a week,& in the holidays when our community support worker is on holiday,but social services,Have said that they will not pay for her.! So what are we allowed to spend direct payments on? My hubby has no savings.He has worked all his life.regards Amanda h

Hi Amanda … others will be along to help with the Direct Payments problem.

I have no direct experience of them as my caring days ended before they were introduced.

One of your last postings.

CHC / NHS Continiung Healthcare was recommended … have you explored this possibility ?

Main thread :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/all-about-caring/chc-coughlan-grogan-judgements-nhs-contuing-healthcare-nhs-fnc-hospital-discharges-all-under-this-one-thread-35998

Section … colour coded to make it easier to find :
FAST TRACK NHS CONTINUING HEALTHCARE ( NOT JUST FOR END OF LIFE ! )

That could well be the answer to almost all your problems.

Hi Amandah,
it’s worth looking at Continuing Health care as Chris suggests as it sounds like your hubby is very poorly and this in turn would help you too.

Re what you can spend the direct payments on, this should be stated in hubby’s care plan - if you haven’t got a copy (you should have) then ask social services for one.

What does the PA do on the one day they support you each week?

If the PA is covering when the community support worker is on holiday - do you mean they take hubby out for the four hours twice a week? Who pays for the community support worker usually?

Melly1

Came across this when researching for a carer contact off forum :

__

A direct payment is one of the ways you can receive money from your council to help you pay for the care and support you need. Choosing to have a direct payment gives you more control over the services you use and where you get them from.

To receive a direct payment, you need to contact your council. They will meet with you to find out what help you need. This is called an assessment.

If they decide you have eligible social care needs, such as needing help to prepare meals, looking after your personal hygiene or getting out and about, they will allocate you a personal budget.

You can choose to receive all, or part, of your personal budget as a direct payment so that you can buy services or pay someone to support you.

You can spend your direct payment on any services as long as they are legal, keep you safe and healthy, and meet your eligible needs. > Your council will pay your direct payment into your bank or building society account.

Direct payments do not count as income and will not affect your benefits.

" You " … in the above context … your husband … assuming he is the one who applied for DPs.

From cases that have gone to the Ombudsman it’s not that clear cut.
Councils argue that DP can only be spent in things specified in the care plan. For example if it has been agreed to pay for one swimming session a week the money for that cannot be spent in going to the cinema instead. . If they specify 4’ 1 hour calls a day it cannot be spent on 2 x 2hour calls, without prior agreement from the council.

I think it used to be more open but now councils are tightening up a lot.

The key phrase is meeting “eligible needs” and those needs are specified jn the care plan

Which indicates the a new definition is urgently required … backed by law ???

Yet more " Confusion " with Direct Payments … add to paying family members to care ?

Yes / no / maybe / it depends ?
( Is there a " R " in the month ? )

Post code lottery ?

4 different answers from 4 LAs … as above ???

The lawyers that drew up the original legal framework.

Really knew what they were doing … keeping their fellow lawyers in work for years to come ???

BACK TO THREAD !

Hi.
this info is on the website:

What can I spend the direct payment on?
The direct payment must be used to meet the needs the local council/trust assessed you or the person you are looking after as having.
The local council/trust has to agree that what you/they spend the direct payment on will meet these needs.
Example: If you are a carer and one of the needs the local council/trust assessed you as having was ‘help with the cost of driving lessons to help you continue in your caring role’ you could ask for a direct payment to meet this need and could use the direct payment to purchase driving lessons.
Example: If the person you are looking after is assessed as needing ‘a care worker for an hour a day’ they could ask for a direct payment to meet this need and could use the direct payment to employ someone of their choice to care for them for one hour a day (if the local council/trust agree that this person would meet this need). It is sometimes possible for the person you are looking after to pay you or another family member or friend to meet their care and support needs (see “If the person I am looking after gets a direct payment can they use this to employ a family member?” for further information on employing family members).

More can be read here: https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/practical-support/getting-care-and-support/direct-payment

Melly1

It is sometimes possible for the person you are looking after to pay you or another family member or friend to meet their care and support needs (see “If the person I am looking after gets a direct payment can they use this to employ a family member?” for further information on employing family members).

Just love that bit !

( " It is sometimes possible … " )

Oh yeah ???

As confirmed by law ???

( Care Act v. Employment law … fixture and venue still to be arranged … the bookies have Employment law as clear favourite ! ) )

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/all-about-caring/direct-payments-paying-a-family-member-to-care-no-but-the-jury-is-out-30902?hilit=direct%20payments

Don’t blame me if the next knock on your door is either the TaxMan or DoleMan !

Just ask John McDermott from islington !

DPs have been with us for just over a decade.

Now 21 months since this Issue was first raised … left with CUK to sort out some 8 months ago !

Hi Amanda

As your post is a request for advice, I’ve forwarded it to the Carers UK Helpline and one of our expert advisers will be in touch within the next 10 working days.

If you need to contact the Helpline again, you can call them on 0808 8087777 on Monday or Tuesday from 10am to 4pm, or email at any time at advice@carersuk.org.

Wishing you well with your caring situation

Michael

Michael, as this subject crops up very regularly on the forum, please could the advice line add something directly to this thread, explaining the general principles of Direct Payments?

… and on the MAIN thread … if you please !

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/all-about-caring/direct-payments-paying-a-family-member-to-care-no-but-the-jury-is-out-30902?hilit=direct%20payments
( Not forgetting the thread’s ugly twin sister ? … https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/carer-disability-benefits/attendance-allowance-pip-dla-sdp-paid-to-family-carer-there-are-problems-not-advertised-33078?hilit=attendance%20allowance )