Advice on changing from housing benefit UC etc

Hi l currently care for my husband who has long-term depression, we are both in our 50s. I receive carer’s allowance and my husband receives contribution-based ESA support group and daily rate pip.
we are moving from one rented property to another in February and have to change from housing benefit to universal credit I have been told.
My questions are do you think we will receive less money? can I earn on carer’s element without it affecting our housing element as it does with housing benefit?
If adults are comes to live with us in your property at any time how will his earnings affect our benefits?
I am also very concerned about the changeover period i.e. not receiving universal credit in time etc as we have no money behind us to fall back on. Any help and advice would be massively gratefully received
Thanks xxx :slight_smile:

Sorry that should read if our adult son comes to live with us!

Hi Jennie,

moving to UC from ESA due to a change in circumstances is rarely good news.

You can see how much you should get and compare it to your ESA rates here

You can ask for a UC loan whilst you wait for your first payment but the repayments are docked from your monthly payments, starting with the first payment.

If your adult son moves in, UC will expect him to contribute towards his board and lodgings.

However, I don’t know all the ins and outs, so you are best to contact the helpline

You can email us at > > and we will respond to your enquiries within 10 working days, although it can often be sooner.

Our telephone helpline providing information is open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm - 0808 808 7777

or the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Trying to end on a positive - due to Covid, the rate of UC has temporarily increased by £20 a week in addition to the usual annual increase.


Thank you both xx