A Question: Do I HAVE to accept THEIR carers?

Well, that’s the best part of Christmas over and mum is now a prisoner of the system! Stuck in an ‘interim care placement’ for the foreseeable future if I don’t get help.

Still acting on an assessment made on my mum some 3 months ago, when she was totally immobile with her right leg in plaster, the social worker still refuses to let her return home unless we have a hospital bed installed in her tiny bedroom! Once upon a time, it was the ‘living room’ but that notion has now been dropped! So, in one last attempt to get mum home, I agreed to the bed in her room, knowing very well (of course) that it would never fit in there.

Why a hospital bed? This is a health & safety issue for NHS carers. They are not allowed to move or turn patients without a hospital bed! Mum’s been in this same position previously (about 4 years ago) but no one insisted on a hospital bed then! OK, I appreciate the health & safety angle BUT, this is about the carers, and NOT mum! Even at her most immobile, she has never found difficulty moving in her bed. I have been her sole carer for the past 5 years or so and had no difficulty whatsoever either helping her to sit up in bed, helping her wash, dress, and everything else. We keep unusual hours anyway so I ask myself, when exactly would these carers think of coming in here? Mum would be fast asleep if they called before 1pm and washed, dressed, and all the rest if they decided to call in the afternoon!

Mum doesn’t want these carers coming in anyway, and neither do I. Instead of making life easier for both of us, they would in fact be making it one hell of a lot worse! We don’t need them and never have needed them. All mum DOES need is an intense course of physio and rehabilitation from her private physios. But, unless the bed is put in, the social worker won’t allow her to come home!

I’ve been in touch with our local Occupational Therapists and spoken with the Head of Dept. We have known each other for years. She does not see why we need the bed if we’ll not be using their carers anyway! The first thing she remarked was, that they’ll NEVER get that bed into mum’s room!!! Yes, tell me about it! Mum’s physio also said the entire idea is nonsense.

However, so far, the social worker has refused to budge! He has agreed to work with our local OT team, surprise, surprise! If only I could get them to do another assessment of mum. She has ALWAYS been assessed in her own home! I have a feeling the OT would be willing to visit her at the care home and, maybe, come up with a plan to get her home without the bed in situ.

Is there a law which says we HAVE to accept the carers social services appoint? What if I wanted to choose Jewish Care? Surely they couldn’t refuse that option, even if we never actually used it. Can anyone answer that? Our local OT has nothing against me caring for mum as she knows I’m experienced and under the supervision of the physiotherapists anyway.

Hospital beds don’t come cheap, and I know they are installed on loan. IF mum was able to regain adequate mobility within a short period of time, what would they do? After all the upheaval and stress I’d suffer ripping mum’s room apart to accommodate the bed, would the whole thing be just dismantled and shipped out again a couple of weeks later? What would I do with mum’s current bed? What? What? What? The entire matter is an absurdity!

And mum just remains a prisoner of the system.

Who is employing this social worker?

Search the “Social work England” register and see if the SW is qualified, for a start.
I would argue that he is “exceeding his authority” by insisting on something that is inappropriate for mum’s specific circumstances, because of a general ruling, which does not apply.
Neither is he applying a “holistic” approach, looking at what you, the carer as well as mum want and need.
If he is registered, you are entitled to make a formal complaint about his conduct to Social Work England!

When my wife had re-ablement care provided by Social Services , the times of visits were fixed but very varied - had we continued to pay for their services after the free period there would have been no change in the schedule.

The first visit of the day was anywhere between 7:30 am and 11:15, and there was no way of knowing when until they actually arrived.

Second visit - lunchtime - anywhere between 11:30am and 2:00 pm, (not 100% sure of the 2:00pm)

Third visit - teatime, I’m even more unsure of this one but I think it was 3:00pm - 5:00pm

Fourth visit - this is to put the caree to bed for the night ! - 7:30 pm - 9:00pm

We very quickly dispensed with all but the morning visit, as it was just too inconvenient and time consuming to be waiting around for something that wasn’t really necessary, and my wife certainly didn’t want to go to bed at 7:30 pm.

Firstly, I’d like to thank you for your reply. I didn’t expect any responses this soon!

Yes, I’ve checked the Register and he is listed since 2012. He is employed by our local authority, Camden Council, and yet he only came onto the scene when mum was chucked out of the Rehab Hospital the first time around, back in September. There was another social worker (a young woman) on the case originally but, as mum was moved to an ‘interim care placement’ outside of our borough of residence, she was no longer involved.

My first impression of our current social worker was extremely favourable. I felt he had a nice manner about him and I actually requested he remain on mum’s case even when she was moved back to the Rehab Hospital from the Care Home! She was being shunted back and forth like a sack of potatoes - first, the General Hospital, back in July, then the Rehab Unit in August, then the care placement in September, then back to the General Hospital a few weeks later suffering from dehydration and delirium! Back to the Rehab Hospital after that, then chucked out of there (for the 2nd time!) and dumped back into the care home!!!

Both mum and I had made it perfectly clear to the social worker that we objected to another stay in care. All we got was, ‘neither of us understood the situation regarding mum’s care needs, and mum hadn’t the mental capacity to make her own decisions’!!!

He had her dispatched back into the care home within the next 24hrs WITHOUT my knowledge or consent! For the period in between, mum was actually off the radar to me!

He was supposed to discuss mum’s position with her private physiotherapist but that conversation was never completed. He conveniently received an ‘emergency call’ on another line during that discussion. He left it so late to call the physio back, he had already left the clinic for the day. That was the end of that!

I have tried to reason with him, got him to agree to work with our local OT team BUT, unless the hospital bed is installed (preferably with a HOIST!) mum can as good as rot in the care home for good. And the reason for all this?

It’s in ‘mum’s best interests’!!! :cry:

Oh dear, this was supposed to be my reply to ‘bowlingbun’ but it appears to have ended up beneath the 2nd answerer!

So sorry. I’ll reply to both in due course!!! :blush:

Hi Ayjay, Thank you for your response.

This is exactly the sort of thing I’d be expecting. Tell you one thing for certain, anyone who’d ring my doorbell at 7.30am would live to regret it! I work during the night on my paintings and other creative pursuits. Mum doesn’t go to bed until around midnight at the earliest. I often don’t go to bed until around 8am to be up again by 10 or 11. I guess I fall asleep on the settee during the earlier course of the evening!

Such is our alternative lifestyle. Such is our wish. No one is disturbed and no harm is done. Mum often doesn’t wake up until after midday. Once awake, I make her a cup of tea and then help her wash, dress, etc when she’s ready. What we need carers for, the mind boggles. Even now, when she is likely to require help moving from her bed to a chair, it’s her physios who we pay to undertake this, at an arranged time. We are fortunate to have them located more or less on our doorstep. They do anything and everything for mum. Their approach to rehabilitation is totally holistic. Little wonder they have achieved in the past what the hospital physios could not.