A bit overwhelmed

Hi members

I am a full time carer to my wife who suffers from Ataxia. I do all the cooking, cleaning for her plus ensuring she takes her medication and many other things. I sometimes get very overwhelmed and it is a real struggle to cope, which is how I feel at the moment. I am taking anti-depressant medication and I know I will get better, but everything seems a bit hard at the moment. Just putting this out there for others to give me advice.

Paul

Hi Paul,
Long term caring is hard.
The endless slog combined with Covid and the grey January weather don’t help either.
Are you getting any help with domestic chores, or anything else?
Does your wife depend on you for everything, or does she do anything with other “girls”?

When did you last go on holiday together?

Hi Bowlingbun

Thanks for the reply. I agree it is such a hard slog when you don’t feel 100%.

My wife relies on me for most things. She can still wash, dress etc. She does her keep fit and crafts. I have an allotment, which when I’m feeling good is a great help.

We generally do days out.

I think just at the moment I’m a bit low at the moment.

Paul

I can’t gather up much enthusiasm for my housework today either.

My son has severe learning difficulties, he’s 42, lives in a privately rented flat with carer support, but he relies heavily on me for all sorts of things. I have a constant battle with Social Services.

I have a little break planned in Sussex in a few weeks time, with my sewing machine for company.
Some interesting things hopefully happening later in the year for our steam engines, which have been hibernating for 2 years, but right now, my get up and go has got up and gone, which is why I’m on my keyboard rather than cleaning!