14 day quarantine rule when arriving back to UK

Hi, sorry if this has already been answered. I have recently returned to the UK from Portugal which was put back into the quarantine list before I arrived. I care for my mother full time at home, do the shopping etc., Does anyone know if I am I exempt from the 14 day quarantine rule? Thanks

Hi Dee,

this is the most uptodate information I could find on quarantine and exceptions Travel to England from another country – COVID-19 rules - GOV.UK and carers aren’t listed as exemptions.

I suspect you will have to make arrangements for shopping etc for you and your Mum to be delivered.

You could always ring the Carers Uk helpline,

You can email us at > adviceline@carersuk.org > and we will respond to your enquiries within 10 working days, although it can often be sooner.

Our telephone helpline providing information is open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm - 0808 808 7777

Melly1

As far as am aware Dee there are no exemptions to the ruling.
My Niece recently got caught out coming back from Malta when they imposed the ruling with only a couple of days notice - luckily myself and her adult son (who hadn’t gone with them) were able to sort out shopping etc for her - but neither she nor her husband were able to go out or back to work until the 14 days were up.They were warned when they landed back in the UK that they could be subjected to someone calling round to check that they were isolating - and if they weren’t they could be liable for a fine.

Who was caring for mum while you were away?
Social Services should be able to arrange emergency care for her, if all else fails and she is a “vulnerable adult”. You can’t be the first person in this predicament and you won’t be the last!

I know in some countries there is a rule of a 10 day quarantine, have you heard about it?