Worried about husband

Hello,

The discharge planning meeting was interesting, and I think the outcome was better than I expected, because no-one is putting pressure on my husband to leave without adequate accommodation. We saw my husband’s social worker on the following Tuesday, and she conducted a needs assessment.

I think the plan is to apply for extra care accommodation, and, because the applications may take some time to be processed, to try for respite in residential home in the interim.

2 Likes

That sounds like a good meeting and outcome, all things considered.

Yay. I’m so happy for you.

Hello,

I have just had a flurry of texts and calls from my husband panicking because he is going to a rehabilitation unit tomorrow. The unit is about fifty miles from where I live, and difficult, but not impossible to get to.

I have spoken to the manager of the unit, and it seems like my husband would benefit from the service, and it may just be an interim stay until extra care accommodation closer to his preferred area can be found.

Again, it is another provision the CQC have found ‘requires improvement’, and neither my husband nor I will be able to see it before he goes. However, at least he will leave the acute ward.

Janet, good as you say he is getting off the acute ward; but 50 miles away isn’t going to be easy for you, nor the move without a planned transition for your husband.

Has he been allocated an advocate yet?

Mum went into a “requires improvement” home, although one of the most expensive. It means CQC visited to check it was being run better, staff were extra vigilant, so for mum it ended up being a good thing!

Hello,

No, my husband does not have an advocate, and this move has been very abrupt. However, since the unit is also part of the same NHS trust as the hospital, it is perhaps seen as similar to a change of ward.

Yes, I think many of the psychiatric hospitals have a ‘requires improvement’ status, perhaps not in every area, but in a sufficient number of areas to give the overall grade. I also think that , as you say @bowlingbun, such a grade can make provisions vigilant. I know my husband has enjoyed visiting the sensory provision which is about half a mile away, and that there is a visible staff presence on the ward.

I am tied up with work commitments today, but I have my phone on standby for my husband to let me know if/when he leaves the ward to go to the rehabilitation unit.

Worth pushing for an advocate for him, they are good at getting things moving.

Is the sensory provision like a sensory room?

Hello Melly1

I am going to enquire about getting my husband an advocate. I also want to talk to someone about communicating with my husband. He texts me constantly, and I do not think he understands what is going on.

For example, on Friday, a member of staff went with his to the local shop with a food voucher to help him buy food for the day. Apparently, patients get a £4 voucher for Aldi, each day. However, no-one took him shopping, yesterday, but someone brought a meal to his room. He texted me to say he had not had any tea and the kettle was not working.

He states that there are no organised activities. He stays in his room, but there is a communal lounge, and no-one sits there. Patients tend to stay in their rooms and staff bring medication, but do not stay to talk.

Obviously, it is very early days and I am hearing things from my husband’s perspective, but I have worked out transport arrangements to go to see him tomorrow. He needs a time table that tells him what happens each day. He also needs written instructions on how to operate the microwave. I feel he is isolating himself a little (like he did when he went to the first hospital), and it could just be bad luck that he has been transferred on a bank holiday weekend when there are few people (staff and patients) around and activities are not arranged.

Hi Janet,
I think it’s a good idea that you are going to visit. It doesn’t sound as if they are meeting his needs currently. I think you need to see his care plan and find out if he has a key worker.

Hello Melly 1,

Thank you. I will do that. He often states that he is scared to ‘make trouble’, but asking for a working kettle, and getting to know whether you will be shopping for you next meal, or it will be made for you, are just simple basic enquiries. I do need to see his care plan, and to see if anyone has discussed his preferences and goals with him.

Surely everyone should be able to make a hot drink in their rooms?? Food should be planned in advance, not last minute? It’s such an important aspect of healthy living.

Hello,
I have been to see my husband today. The kettle situation is complex, something to do with work still going on. There is also a water boiler in the communal kitchen that needs repairing. However, flasks of hot water are available for residents to make a drink.

Everything is clean, and the staff seem happy (much happier than the staff on the acute ward, but I think acute psychiatric care is very demanding). There is a much more ;laid back’ attitude on the rehabilitation ward.

Yet it is still very much a ward, and doors are locked, although residents know the code to get in and out. There is a communal dinner today, so my husband will be able to meet the other people.

I have read my husband’s support plan and his main aim is to find extra care accommodation. He really does need this now.

I am still pushing for an advocate, and I will keep checking with his social worker to see what is happening with the applications. I just want him closer to us and in a safe place that he can call home.

1 Like

Janet,

I’m glad there were some positives. Relaxed, happy staff is good - but you also need to know they are doing their jobs properly and that includes making sure the patient’s needs are being met.

eg have they:

Does the support plan indicate that your husband should be finding the extra care accommodation? I would have thought this was the responsibility of the social worker and community mental health team.

His support plan should say the things you know he needs:

It should also include details on how he is to be involved in community life and not become isolated again.

Does the Mind website have information on getting an advocate - it sounds like he really needs one to get things moving.

Just a quick update. My husband is still in the rehabilitation unit, but last week we looked around a care home that seems to really meet his needs. The home is run by the care group who also support and accommodate our eldest son.

It is early days yet, but from what has been stated, it looks like all parties agree that this home can offer my husband the care and support he needs.

I think there will be some discussion re funding now

Janet that sounds really positive.

Would he like/cope with living in a care home?

Does your son have autism too? (Sorry I can’t remember)

My husband is very positive about living in the care home, and knows more or less what it would be like because our eldest son spent three years in a residential (care) home run by the same provider. Our eldest son also has autism.

I think this is the right move. The rehabilitation unit have stated that they feel a move to extra care accommodation may be too much for him at the moment.

1 Like

Sounds like a great fit for him.

Does he have an advocate yet? They are great for pushing for funding and chivvying things along etc

Yes, he has an advocate, so hopefully things will start moving quickly

2 Likes

Janet it sounds very positive to me. Especially as your husband feels it’s best for him too