Using Attendance Allowance to pay those on Carers' Allowance

I posted a few days ago asking about this topic and was given details of how to make contact and there was a request to pass on any reply I got from them. For background I am a live in carer for my Mum who has full capacity but very immobile an is in receipt of the higher level Attendance Allowance. I have applied for Carers Allowance and am fully expecting to get it. There is a £132 earnings limit for those on CA and I was asking about whether my Mum could use some of her AA to pay me.

I got a fantastically comprehensive reply from Carers UK (thank you I am very grateful!) with links to further information (see below - I hope the links work)

RESPONSE FROM CARERSUK RE: Using Attendance Allowance to pay a live in family member

Thanks for being in touch about this. I can see why you wanted to check this however, providing you fulfil the eligibility conditions (which you can double check on our website Carer's Allowance | Carers UK) then, you would be eligible. Remember the 35 hours needed for carers allowance would need to be in addition to any paid hours.

Your mum is free to use her Attendance Allowance as she pleases. If she pays you for some of the time that you would be providing care, then this would count as ‘earnings’ and as such would need to be reported to the carers allowance unit to be taken into account when looking at the earnings threshold.

If your mum will be taking on the responsibilities of an employer, you would need to think about how this would work. Our website also has further information about advice agencies along with an indication of some of the main responsibilities of an employer. You will find the information under the subheading “employing a care worker directly”

You could contact your mother’s local authority adult social care department
Find Local Authority Adult Social Care services - NHS to find out whether they can help ( perhaps with a needs assessment Needs assessment | Carers UK) or direct you to a local organisation that could assist.

There is some background information on employing a care worker on the Money Helper website

and you can find webinars and a toolkit for employing personal assistants developed by Skills for Care
Recruiting a PA.

They also have information about support in your local area

Being the Boss has a website and helpline answered by people who themselves are disabled and who employ their own Personal Assistants, carers, and support staff. The number is 07872 038370.

ACAS also provides advice and information to employers and employees; the ACAS helpline number is 0300 123 1100. It is available Monday to Friday 8am-6pm. The Disability Rights UK factsheet Being in Control: Getting Personal Assistants (PAs) | Disability Rights UK may also be helpful to you.

If in the future your mum was eligible and wanted to pay for care using direct payments

following a needs assessment Needs assessment | Carers UK through her local authority, there are rules about employing family members which vary depending on whether the person you are looking after lives in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. More information is available on our website here:

As you know, there’s a lot to think about, but I hope this is of some help and you can make it work well for you both.

Thank you Gill, for sharing this with other members.

Is this all working out for you and your Mum?