Student Carer Rules

First, time I;ve heard about student carers. Anyone on here one of them? So, how does it work if they are receiving student loans or univeristy grants for maintence/living/course costs and also receiving carers allowance or direct payments do they not conflict with each other?

21 Hour Rule ?


Can you claim Carer’s Allowance ?
Not every carer can get this benefit. You may be eligible for Carer’s Allowance if you meet all the following conditions:

you look after someone who gets a qualifying disability benefit.

you look after that person for at least 35 hours a week.

you are aged 16 or over

you are not in full-time education.

you don’t earn over £123 a week (after deductions).

you satisfy UK presence and residence conditions.

Note: If you meet the above conditions but already receive certain benefits (including a State Pension), then the amount of Carer’s Allowance you may be entitled to could be affected.


You are not in full-time education

The meaning of ‘full-time education’ is complicated and may depend on a number of factors including the type of course you are doing.

Your course is likely to be considered ‘full-time’ if:

your university, school or college describe the course as fulltime (however some courses classed as ‘full-time’ may in fact not be classed as ‘full-time’ by the Carer’s Allowance Unit if the supervised study required for the course is for less than 21 hours a week ; or

you are required to do 21 hours a week or more of study (even if your university, school or college does not describe your course as full-time)

If you are in full-time education you also won’t be able to get Carer’s Allowance during temporary absences from your course including holiday periods.

For a much researched summary of said Rule , look no further :


21 HOUR RULE ? CA : Eligibility / Studying / Developments : The Sole Thread ANYWHERE Dealing With This Abomination !

Direct Payments / Personal Budgets : students ?


Personal budgets and direct payments in education

Here, we look at personal budgets and direct payments that might be available to those who have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC plan).

EHC plans (often simply referred to as ‘plans’) could be in place for children and young people from ages 0 – 25 years who are in some form of education or training.

Students going to university will not be eligible for a plan.

Which university are you enrolled in?

I’m a first year student (University of Brighton), but I’m on the Erasmus exchange programme. Can I apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance (I’ve seen it mentioned on the official website for student carers)? What are the steps?

Can I get any grants? I cannot reach my Erasmus coordinator, as he’s currently volunteering in Togo.

Welcome to the forum.

I’m unclear, are you an exchange student studying here from abroad or are you going to be studying abroad as part of your course that is predominately based in the UK?

There is further information here: Help if you're a student with a learning difficulty, health problem or disability: Disabled Students' Allowance - GOV.UK


locked for usual reasons !