Spotlight on energy-saving tips

Hi all, I’m Jane and I help to develop our Carers UK advice resources - you may have noticed I’ve posted quite a lot recently to share some of our information and gather your feedback. I’d love to hear what types of information resources you’d find helpful. Please do feel free to let me know on this thread.

Meanwhile, here is some topical guidance about saving on energy costs: Help with energy costs | Carers UK

I hope it’s helpful!

Wishing you all the best,
Jane

Wow, there is a lot of information there to absorb, Jane.

Melly1

Hi Melly,

Yes, there is quite a lot of information to take in!
Thank you for taking a look and let me know if you have any thoughts.

Thank you,
Jane

Jane, rather than just put a link on here, why not start a thread with money saving tips?
I’m not well and my son is home, I’ve just whizzed straight passed a link. Too much like another job I’m afraid.
I’m not trying to be rude, just saying how it is, especially as Christmas approaches. I’m sure I’m not the only one feeling like this.

Mine is a very small contribution but as I’m waiting for a hip replacement I do it to save hobbling rather than energy but it saves on both. When I make a cup of tea, I also make one in a flask thermos beaker at the same time for later so saves reboiling kettle.

I have a small Russell Hobbs kettle in my bedroom, as I don’t sleep well.
It only takes a litre of water, and has markers inside for one, two or three cups, so I don’t put more water in than I need.
It boils really quickly, unlike my travel kettle which takes forever.

About 5 years ago we changed from an older boiler with water tank to a new combi boiler, with a room thermostat. Now we only heat water we are going to use.
The room thermostat saves lots of money, as the central heating only comes on when my sewing room/dining room goes below 18.5 degrees. No more condensation problems either.
I’m lucky though, we have a wood burner and eldest son loves cutting up wood. We have about 5 years worth in our woodshed!

1 Like

My central heating comes on just about the time I get up in the morning for 3 hours and then again around 5.30pm - I don’t have it on during the day as I’m often out and it’s wasteful to have it on when nobody’s in - just the cat and she has a fur coat anyway :laughing:

If I am in during the day and I’m cold then I wrap up warm in my fleece dressing gown over jogging bottoms and a fleece top. I also turn down the heating once it’s reached it’s optimum temperature (in my case 21c) and I find that then keeps the whole flat warm enough until bed time (I prefer a cool bedroom anyway !).

And like Bowlingbun I only boil enough water in the kettle for the amount of cups I intend to fill.

1 Like

I turn off all electric devices each night. I use a plastic washing bowl in order to wash Milo and monitor usage bills each month as well. To save more money I eat out during the week. Instead of relying on my central heating I make full use of a fire place and also have hot water bottles and order cheap body warmers. I use free sunlight to keep warm. I do lots of exercise. I eat lots of hot food and take quick but warm showers.

1 Like