Reasonable Charge for Caring for Live-in Parent

My Father has lived full-time with my family for more than 3 years. Over this period his health has deteriorated to the point where he now has dementia and is immobile / bed bound (needing to be lifted between his chair / bed / commode with a hoist. Aside from an hours private care in the morning (for washing and dressing) my wife and I care for my Father 24 x 7 x 365 with all this entails (toileting, feeding, medication, ‘stimulation’, admin etc etc). Our full-time role means we have little or no ‘me time’. We get NO support from my siblings and other family members.

We were aware of our commitment when we agreed to have him live with us and have no desire to have him live in a Care Home; my Father doesn’t want to spend his twilight years in a Home either.

Before his mental health declined my Father agreed to ‘pay’ me for living with my family. Originally he paid me £600 per month but this sum has increased; he currently pays me £1000 per month but given the recent increases in prices for food, utilities etc, I feel this sum it too low.

What do other Members ‘charge’ for having their Parent(s) live with them and what is a reasonable figure?

Many thanks.

I now ask for £5 each week in order to help me to cover my food costs. I have a tin for that. And I keep a daily record of it. Other than that I only ever ask for money to use for clothes and for using any of the amenities that are located in the area with them.

£5 a week!!! Goodness Thara - that wouldn’t go very far.

1 Like

Does dad have over £23,000 in savings? Claim Attendance Allowance? Are you aware of NHS Continuing Healthcare? This can EITHER fund residential care OR fund additional care at home. You are at real danger or burnout or ill health. Caring was too much for my husband, he died of a massive heart attack at 58. Do everything possible to look after yourself, as well as dad, especially having a bit of extra help so you can get some “down time”. Did you know dad has been exempt from Council Tax since claiming Attendance Allowance.

I save up for a month