Protecting parents savings

I posted back in March about a relative who convinced my father to gift her daughter 10% of his savings.
I have now discovered that the same relative took over a savings policy belonging to my father about 5 years ago. She claims not to have spent it but “can’t find the policy”. She says policy was with Co-op whereas we believe my father only had dealings with Sun Life.
I know I should take legal advice asap. If anyone has had a similar issue, is there a specific action I should take?
I’ve been my father’s carer for 10 years, in receipt of Carer’s Allowance for 5 years. Now, the relative in question is trying to demean me, saying I’ve only been a carer in “recent years” and I have it easy!
Thanks in advance for your support.

Apart from seeking legal advice, I would report it to the police as it partly fraud, you might have to do it before seeing a lawyer incase there is some legal process needs a crime number or something I am not sure.

1 Like

With modern technology, it should be very easy for someone with authority to trace the money.
Maybe start with Social Services Safeguarding?
Also talk to the relevant banks and get them to freeze any money in dad’s name?

1 Like

Is there a power of Attorney in place at all?

1 Like

Talk to a local bank in order to get started on the process. Set up a meeting to discuss finances face to face. It is a good idea to make some brief summary notes in case as well. Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks for advice and moral support. This is what is needed at times.
Yeah, the person in question is relying on having been my father’s “favourite” to get away with this. They probably think I won’t get a solicitor involved either but I’ve had enough.
My father still has his wits about him. He knows I have had a fall out with my sibling about this but he is still emotionally manipulated by Saudi person.
No my next move is to get a solicitor to make access requests, etc.
I have not asked my father to make me power of attorney as yet as he likes to be in control.
As far as I know there is no will as yet. So, I will talk to him about that.
Thanks again for the support. :+1:

2 Likes

You can only make Subject Access Requests if you are the subject, i.e. it relates to you.
However, financial institutions have a duty to protect vulnerable clients, regardless.

Thanks, that’s what I discovered too. Another user on here was telling me I could but I would need Power of Attorney.
I’m going to ask a solicitor. If it’s not too much I’ll get them to write letters.
Thanks for taking an interest.