Protecting parents savings

I posted back in March about a relative who convinced my father to gift her daughter 10% of his savings.
I have now discovered that the same relative took over a savings policy belonging to my father about 5 years ago. She claims not to have spent it but “can’t find the policy”. She says policy was with Co-op whereas we believe my father only had dealings with Sun Life.
I know I should take legal advice asap. If anyone has had a similar issue, is there a specific action I should take?
I’ve been my father’s carer for 10 years, in receipt of Carer’s Allowance for 5 years. Now, the relative in question is trying to demean me, saying I’ve only been a carer in “recent years” and I have it easy!
Thanks in advance for your support.

Apart from seeking legal advice, I would report it to the police as it partly fraud, you might have to do it before seeing a lawyer incase there is some legal process needs a crime number or something I am not sure.

1 Like

With modern technology, it should be very easy for someone with authority to trace the money.
Maybe start with Social Services Safeguarding?
Also talk to the relevant banks and get them to freeze any money in dad’s name?

1 Like

Is there a power of Attorney in place at all?

1 Like

Talk to a local bank in order to get started on the process. Set up a meeting to discuss finances face to face. It is a good idea to make some brief summary notes in case as well. Good luck.

1 Like

@Kevin_2109 firstly the relative in question needs beating with a iron rod.

Secondly, as your father’s carer do you have a power of attorney in place?
If you do, and you’re the named person in it, then said relative had no right to dip into anything.

What is the justification for taking over the saving s policy?
What authority does she have to act autonomously without any consultation?
If your father has limited capacity and is vulnerable she could be in big trouble legally, especially if he felt he didn’t have a choice due to her pressurising him.

as @bowlingbun advises, start the wheels rolling to get things looked at and in place like financial safeguards.

It might also be worth going to your local police and talking to them about it. Explain your concerns and ask them what is the point where they will step in from a crime or offence committed point of view should it come to that.

You can write to Co-Op and Sun life to confirm details - look up a subject access request template letter. Send that to them and they should spit back any and all policy information held on him - that’ll reveal if he has or ever has had a policy with them.

The gifting thing is also a bit moot. If the daughter is older than 18, then any gift over 10k will incur capital gains tax, so a call to HMRC might be in order to notify them.

If the relative in question is saying that you’ve had it easy tell them that’s really good news. You’re going away and you need them to do your job for you - as it’s that easy, they shouldn’t lose sleep over it.

The other thing to do is cut off all communication with that relative on a familial level.
No point being in the same room or entertaining them unless absolutely necessary.
Do all that’s been suggested in the background, you just need as much information under your belt as possible should things get serious - that way you’ll be able to see what’s coming a mile off and be ready to defend against it.

Once you do all of these things and have created a safe barrier around him, she’ll start to realise that you’re on the defensive and have developed a sense of smell when it comes to her, and anything she tries has to get past you first.

One last thing… the will. Check it, and speak to the solicitor with regards to the matter - that way if the will is changed or said relative attempts to convince your father to alter it in their favour the solicitor will be in a position to challenge and scrutinise.

Subject access requests
Power of attorney
Wills and land registry entries. - by the sound of it she wouldn’t be adverse to trying to peck at or manipulate those as well.

check them all and get as much info prepared on what if scenarios - but the whole gifting money and taking over of policies etc, stinks to high heaven of siphoning.

This has got all the signs of vultures circling ready to pick at a carcass.
Sharpen your sword and get the defences ready… the orcs are coming.


Thanks for advice and moral support. This is what is needed at times.
Yeah, the person in question is relying on having been my father’s “favourite” to get away with this. They probably think I won’t get a solicitor involved either but I’ve had enough.
My father still has his wits about him. He knows I have had a fall out with my sibling about this but he is still emotionally manipulated by Saudi person.
No my next move is to get a solicitor to make access requests, etc.
I have not asked my father to make me power of attorney as yet as he likes to be in control.
As far as I know there is no will as yet. So, I will talk to him about that.
Thanks again for the support. :+1:


You can make the access requests yourself Kevin, it’s just a letter you can print off and just fill in the blanks.

If you search “subject access request template letter” you’ll get tons. There’s no charge incurred.

The power of attorney is good to have in place as it can be registered should he start to lose capacity. it’s much harder to do after he’s lost capacity, and as for the will, it can cement everything now.

The solicitor who makes the will can also be the person that sets up the power of attorney and can be one of the administrators / executors.

Sit back, let the show unfold but keep detailed notes of the comings and goings and gather as much info as you can in the background.

1 Like

You can only make Subject Access Requests if you are the subject, i.e. it relates to you.
However, financial institutions have a duty to protect vulnerable clients, regardless.

Thanks, that’s what I discovered too. Another user on here was telling me I could but I would need Power of Attorney.
I’m going to ask a solicitor. If it’s not too much I’ll get them to write letters.
Thanks for taking an interest.