Portable heaters

Does anyone has a portable heater?

How does it work? What brand is the best? I am currently trying to find a portable heater for my flat because as the weather gets colder, I don’t want to rely on the radiators for central heating so much. I have been to Argos my local one and briefly spoke with someone there for advice on Saturday and also searched online but I don’t know how to proceed. Is it worth it? My ancient boiler often stops working. Because I have small children, I think I really need one that has wheels. And a anti tip switch is also preferred strongly. Just in case.

I want a fairly reliable one. It also must be relatively cheap and easy to use. Is it worth buying a plastic covering to hide it or not? I have also read some descriptions of electric portable heaters. I live in a small flat with two little children so I ideally need a safe portable heater if they even exist. It would live in my bedroom and be turned off at night. I don’t want them hurting themselves. But my son does get extremely cold. I have seen him shiver even when he has a coat on during the day time if we are at home. Can you use DFG for this?

What are my options? I’m not willing to spend more than £100 on any type of movable heater. Do Halfords sell heaters? Or should I look elsewhere? It often gets very cold at night and we don’t like to use central heating. I have considered a heating blanket. But that might not work as well however. Recommendations will be gratefully appreciated thank you.

Three review links for you , Leah :

Best electric heater 2022: Get fast, reliable and affordable warmth | Expert Reviews
https://www.bestreviewer.co.uk/top-10-best-electric-heaters/

Best electric heaters: stay warm this winter with efficient and reliable electric heaters - Which?

As for running costs , fairly expensive on all tariffs … and NOT recommended if you are on a prepayment meter !

Have a look at oiled filled radiators Argos have them. I had one as a stand by and it was quite efficient. Mine was on wheels and had a timer but you dont have to have one. Other places do them of course like currys and amazon. Apparently the oiled filled radiators are better re energy efficiency. My friend has a convection heater with a timer in her caravan which is is very pleased with.
De’ longhi and dimplex are recommended makes.

Thanks! We are not on a prepayment meter however I’ll bear that in mind.

Investigate grants as your son is disabled so you can get the boiler replaced by a combi boiler. I cannot tell you how it has completely changed my 110 year old cottage!

We are going heater shopping tomorrow. What questions do I ask of the salesman? We dont have a Curry’s shop in town however. And thank you!

Can you get a winter fuel payment?

Only for over 65s I think. A grant would be better.

Winter fuel payments ?

Who qualifies for Winter Fuel Payment | nidirect

__

Who can get it

Winter Fuel Payment is not means tested. You can get it if you’re working or claiming a benefit.
You can automatically qualify for a Winter Fuel Payment for winter 2019/2020 if both the following apply :

you have reached the qualifying age which means you were born on or before 5 April 1954.

you normally lived in Northern Ireland or Great Britain on any day throughout the week 16 to 22 September 2019 - this is known as the ‘qualifying week.’
You will not qualify for a Winter Fuel Payment if, throughout the week of 16 to 22 September 2019, you :

were in prison.

were in hospital getting free treatment for more than 52 weeks.

needed permission to enter the UK and your granted leave states that you cannot claim public funds.

have lived in a care home for the whole time between 24 June and 16 September 2019 and were receiving Pension Credit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance.

You may still be able to get Cold Weather Payment, even if you do not qualify for Winter Fuel Payment.

I would ask which is the safest and economy efficient. Mine never tipped, but should it have of, it had automatic switch off.
The salesperson will tell you the pros and cons, as they will want the sale!!
I do agree with Bowlingbun. My combi boiler is great. Don’t know if you could get help to get one. Worcester Bosch is one of the best. Definitely worth checking out your rights.

How does that work?

__

How does this work ?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/grant-grabbing/

A guide to the various grants available.

Central heating (presuming it’s a gas or oil fired boiler) will always be more cost effective than an electric heater.

A combi boiler doesn’t heat water and store it in a tank, but heats water on demand. We set the room temperature we want, the wireless thermostat turns on the boiler automatically. No more condensation. Hot water for bath or shower? Instant and endless.

That’s good. We prefer hot water at night. How much does it cost?

Often I 've found it good to have the central heat on low and use a room heater in the room I’m in. A fan heater works fast and can be pointed where you want the heat, but cant be a bit noisy. An electric radiator does make the same noise but radiates the warm air and heats the room by convection. Both types have their uses.

Fyi, Lidl has a variable thermostat, 3 power, oil filled radiator available from Sunday October 20 for £39.99. It’s their own Silvercrest brand.

We have a much warmer house for far less money than our old gas boiler, as it only heats water on demand, so when you turn your tap on or the room thermostat (wireless) tells the boiler that the temperature has gone down below the set level. There are a series of set levels depending on the time of day.
So when my son (an engineer with the council) has to get up on “early turn” at 4.30 in the morning, he tells the thermostat to come on an hour earlier than usual, for example. It’s easy to change apparently, but son is very possessive of the thermostat, feels it’s Man’s Work and gets really funny if I touch it.
Sometimes he forgets that his mum has used a computer etc. longer than him!!!

I have wireless too. When the weather is really cold,I take it upstairs at bedtime. If it feels cold when I wake, can put it on then. Doesnt take long at all. Beauty of the wireless thermostat. I don’t have set levels but could. Don’t need to. I kept the electric shower. The boiler is one of the best decisions I have made since hubby became ill. Its it the garage, no problem to get to. Love my electric fires too. Don’t need the heat but the living flames are so realistic. Remind me of when little, and my dad used to get the coal fire going. BB, Melly and my friend recommended the Worcester Bosch boiler. Glad I listened.
However when I had the oiled filled radiator on wheels I was glad of it as a standby.

Those portable heaters cost a fortune to run, I know because my Mum has one on in her bedroom in the cold weather and the electric bill is really big in the winter.
In your shoes I’d be getting the central heating sorted out ASAP. I wouldn’t have anything to do with an electric heater personally. I don’t think they even are that warm. I’ve run a dehumidifier and I think this helps warm a room as well.