Pneumonia Vaccination re: Boots the Chemist

Has any Carer here had the pneumonia vaccine from Boots the Chemist; from what I know it covers more strains of pneumonia than the NHS vaccine? If so, did you have any side affects?

I am considering having this vaccine myself. I have CKD stage 3 and despite this my GP’s surgery refuse to give me the pneumonia vaccine, stating that I have to be at stage 4 with my CKD before I qualify!

I am almost 64 and cannot have the vaccine until I’m 66 my GP states. Being a Carer requires long hours as we all know here and I do get concerned about becoming too ill to care for my Husband and Son. As we all know there is no one out there to help when there is a problem.

There is also the cost of £70 at Boots and my only income is £66.15 Carers allowance. I am a 50’s woman and have no income until I am entitled to my pension at 66. My Husband and I live off his state pension.

Having had shingles, being seriously ill and hospitalised due to this, I do believe that prevention is better
than cure.

Thanks for listening.



If you are the main carer for someone who is elderly or disabled, speak to your GP or pharmacist about having a flu vaccine along with the person you care for.

The flu jab is the best way to protect yourself and the person you care for from flu.

If you care for an older or disabled person whose welfare would be at risk if you were ill you may be able to get a free NHS flu vaccine.

You can also get one if you get Carer’s Allowance. This is to ensure you are protected against catching flu and developing serious complications.


When caring for someone, you may worry about what would happen if you suddenly became ill. How would you cope? What impact would this have on the person you care for?

If you are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person, who may be put at risk if you became ill, you should be offered a free flu jab, according to government policy.

You should also be offered one if you’re receiving Carer’s Allowance. If you feel this applies to you, you should be able to request one from your GP surgery or local pharmacist.

Flu jabs | Carers UK

Boots … on flu jabs :

Boots Pharmacy

( £ 12.99 mentioned … £ 70 ? )


The private Winter Flu Jab Service costs £12.99.

The NHS service is free if you’re eligible to receive it.

Better than the same under the NHS ?

No sign of any " Superior " flu vaccine on their web site :

The flu vaccination FAQs - Boots

I can only assume that your gp has recommended a stronger flu vaccination … in which case , availability / pricing maybe different ?

Chris - the pneumonia vaccine which Huegatort is talking about is totally different to the flu vaccine ! For the over 65’s it’s usually just a one off injection.

Thanks Susie … no wonder my searches revealed what they did ?
( First hand experience with flu jabs and assorted medications now 11 years out of date. )


Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPV) is given to people aged 65 and over and people at high risk because they have long-term health conditions. >

In which case , the author has fallen through the cracks in the system for free prescriptions ?


Am I entitled to free prescriptions ?

You can get free NHS prescriptions if, at the time the prescription is dispensed, you:

are 60 or over.
are under 16.
are 16 to 18 and in full-time education.
are pregnant or have had a baby in the previous 12 months and have a valid maternity exemption certificate (MatEx).
have a specified medical condition and have a valid medical exemption certificate (MedEx).
have a continuing physical disability that prevents you going out without help from another person and have a valid MedEx.
hold a valid war pension exemption certificate and the prescription is for your accepted disability.
are an NHS inpatient.

You’re also entitled to free prescriptions if you or your partner (including civil partner) receive, or you’re under the age of 20 and the dependant of someone receiving:

Income Support.
income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.
income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
Pension Credit Guarantee Credit.
Universal Credit and meet the criteria.

If you’re entitled to or named on:

a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate – if you do not have a certificate, you can show your award notice; you qualify if you get Child Tax Credits, Working Tax Credits with a disability element (or both), and have income for tax credit purposes of £15,276 or less.

a valid NHS certificate for full help with health costs (HC2).

People named on an NHS certificate for partial help with health costs (HC3) may also get help.
* Find out more about the NHS Low Income Scheme (LIS). *

Medical exemptions.

People with certain medical conditions can get free NHS prescriptions if:

they have one of the conditions listed below, and
they hold a valid medical exemption certificate

Medical exemption certificates are issued on application to people who have:

a permanent fistula (for example, a caecostomy, colostomy, laryngostomy or ileostomy) requiring continuous surgical dressing or an appliance
a form of hypoadrenalism (for example, Addison’s disease) for which specific substitution therapy is essential
diabetes insipidus or other forms of hypopituitarism
diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone
myasthenia gravis
myxoedema (hypothyroidism requiring thyroid hormone replacement)
epilepsy requiring continuous anticonvulsive therapy
a continuing physical disability that means the person cannot go out without the help of another person (temporary disabilities do not count, even if they last for several months)

They’re also issued for people undergoing treatment for cancer:

including the effects of cancer, or
the effects of current or previous cancer treatment

Read FAQs about medical exemption certificates

Check you’re eligible

There’s a simple way to find out if you’re entitled to free NHS prescriptions and any help with other NHS costs.

Just use this eligibility checker
How to apply for a medical exemption certificate
Ask your doctor for an FP92A form to apply for a medical exemption certificate.

Your GP will sign the form to confirm that your statement is correct. At your GP’s discretion, a member of the practice who has access to your medical records can also sign the form.

Your certificate will be valid from 1 month before the date the NHS Business Authority receives the application form.

The MedEx lasts for 5 years and then needs to be renewed. You may receive a reminder that your certificate needs to be renewed.

If you do not receive a reminder, it’s your responsibility to make sure it’s renewed.

You can find more information about the application process and refunds on the NHS Business Authority website.

Check if your exemption certificate is valid


  • NHS Low income Scheme :


If you have a low income, you may be able to get help with NHS costs through the NHS Low Income Scheme (LIS).

The scheme covers:

prescription costs.

dental costs.

eye care costs.

healthcare travel costs.

wigs and fabric supports.

You can apply for the scheme as long as your savings, investments or property (not counting the place you live) don’t exceed the capital limit.

In England, the limit is:

£23,250 for people who live permanently in a care home.

£16,000 for everyone else

Any help you’re entitled to is also available to your partner and any dependent young people.
How to apply

Depending on your circumstances, you can receive full help (HC2 certificate) or partial help (HC3 certificate).

You qualify for full help if your income is less than or equal to your requirements, or is greater than your requirements by no more than half the current English prescription charge.

If your income exceeds this limit, you may be entitled to partial help. Your certificate will show how much you have to pay towards your health costs.

The rules governing who’s eligible are broadly the same as those for a means-tested benefit. But the assessment also takes into account council tax and housing costs, so you can get help with health costs even if your income is too high for a means-tested benefit.

To apply for your certificate, you’ll need to complete an HC1 form and post it to the address provided on the form.

You can order an HC1 form online or download it (PDF, 218kb). It may also be available from your local Jobcentre Plus office or NHS hospital. Your doctor, dentist or optician may also be able to give you one.

If you need help making your claim or have questions about the LIS, call 0300 330 1343 to speak to an adviser. They can also fill in the form for you and post it to you to sign and return it to them.

Certificates are usually valid for between six months and five years, depending on your circumstances.

You don’t need to apply if you or your partner:

get Income Support.

get income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.

get income-related Employment and Support Allowance.

get Pension Credit Guarantee Credit.

are named on or entitled to a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate – if you don’t have a certificate, you can show your award notice; you qualify if you get Child Tax Credits, Working Tax Credits with a disability element (or both) and have income for tax credit purposes of £15,276 or less.

get Universal Credit and meet the criteria.

These benefits or tax credits already entitle you to full help with health costs.

NHS prescription charges … only in England … NOT Scotland / Northern Ireland / Wales !

See if you can get it cheap. I wholly concur with you. Yesterday afternoon we all had our flu shots. My brother had his one at home and I and my husband went to a chemist in town for our ones. Ask your GP or see if your chemist can help you.