Personal independence Payment (PIP)

Hi all

In 2015 I was diagnosed with Lung cancer and 6 months ago they found out it has spread to my brain after having a stroke.

For the past 4 years I have been claiming income support, carers allowance & PIP which all goes in my bank account

Two months ago the DWP stopped my income support asking for the past 4 years bank statements, I printed the last year off online and sent them a copy. They have now refunded my income support with a £22 a fortnightly reduction this is because they say I had £2500 in my account which they classed as savings

I have no other income going into my account other than my benefits, this brings me on to PIP I understand you can spend your PIP at anytime and I do I recently saved it up to have a walk in shower fitted because of my stroke, I used this argument with the DWP that the £2500 was my PIP and they no right to class it as savings, but they weren’t having it.

What I understand from reading different questions on PIP is that you can save it up to use it to help with your medical condition, and it should not be classed as savings and effect your income support.

I need advice on whether this is truly correct. Can the DWP class PIP as savings if it accumulates in your account over several months when claiming income support

Hi Mike.

One for the experts out there.

Either the CAB or the Carers UK Advice Team ( Best by email ).

LInks for both follow :

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/carer-disability-benefits/how-to-contact-the-carers-uk-adviceline-24147

Let us know how matters progress … it will add to our collective knowledge at forum level.

Thanks and will do

Your welcome.

Any help / guidance needed on the caring side ?

Hi Mike,
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

The rules are often so poorly thought through aren’t they. Please let us know what the CAB or Carers UK helpline advice as it will help others.

Melly1

I found this quote below on this website, but are they saying every week, because if you needed an expensive item to help you with your illness how are you supposed to purchase it without saving “withdraw it and place it under your bed” basically the state is allowing you to live a normal life through PIP but acts a protection racket to claim some of it back if you.

PIP can be paid regardless of your income, savings or National Insurance contribution record and is a tax free benefit. … If you are a carer who has care needs, you can claim PIP for yourself and this will not affect your Carer’s Allowance. Getting PIP does not reduce other benefits, it may even increase them.
https://www.carersuk.org › personal…
Personal Independence Payment | PIP - Carers UK

__

I found this quote below on this website, but are they saying every week, because if you needed an expensive item to help you with your illness how are you supposed to purchase it without saving “withdraw it and place it under your bed” basically the state is allowing you to live a normal life through PIP but acts a protection racket to claim some of it back if you. >

That contradiction is precisely why expert advice is needed.

£ 6,000 is often quoted as to the level of savings BEFORE any impact on income related benefits is felt.

What would be the position if a claimant needed to save up a sum in excess of that for a vital piece of equipment not normally
supplied by the NHS or an LA ???

As your are on income support etc. Why didn’t you apply to your local authority for a grant for the walk in shower. I think you still could.

If you had saved the money in a different account. They may have taken your explanation into account. To be fair the DWP can’t be held responsible. For individuals saving for different types of equipment. On paper is all just about totally savings.