Pension Credit Severe Disability and Social Care

Hi everyone,

My uncle has been getting social care/direct payments for over a decade now, but things are getting a bit sketchy due to a very difficult social worker.

I made my weekly call to him last night and he told me that the social worker is kicking up a stink again, now claiming he’s not entitled to social care/direct payments due to the fact he no longer gets the severe disability premium in his benefits since he’s changed to pension credit recently.

He’s still getting the max amount of PIP for both components, so I fail to see how the SDP is really relevant here, especially as it seems that’s only hinged on whether or not you live alone, not what your level of need is.

Can anyone tell me if they’ve ever heard of anything like this? Do you really need to get a disability premium to be eligible for social care funding?



That sounds ridiculous to me. Clearly the social worker doesn’t know what they are talking about.

I suggest you contact the helpline,

You can email us at > > and we will respond to your enquiries within 10 working days, although it can often be sooner.

Our telephone helpline providing information is open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm - 0808 808 7777

and am sure others will be along with advice.


The council should do an updated financial assessment, a full one asking for copies of all income and outgoings, especially “disability related expenditure”. At the end of the assessment he should be given a WRITTEN copy of the assessment.

It is not the role of a social worker to “kick up a stink”. Maybe get the name of the SW concerned?