New Joiner

Hello I have just joined.
How do I register as a carer.
I care for my middle aged son who has degenerative spine fibromyalgia, emphysema and my husband who has heart problems.

I am a pensioner snd self employed and have been told I cannot claim carers allowance is this correct.

Thank you

Hello Hazel and welcome to the forum :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Information regarding claiming for Carers Allowance and the criteria that needs to be met can be found here:

Generally if you are claiming your state pension then you cannot claim Carers Allowance as they are considered to be “overlapping” benefits.

Alternatively you can contact our telephone Helpline:

Our telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (>> )

Welcome to the forum.

Caring for two people, as a pensioner, is very tiring. Don’t try to be Superwoman, maybe it’s time to start asking for help?
Does your son claim PIP, and your husband, Attendance Allowance?
Use this money to pay for domestic help and also “mechanical slaves” like a tumble dryer, dishwasher, Magimix.
Do you have a set slot for “time off”?
What do you struggle with most, practical or emotional issues?