Greetings
My wife Dawn and I are both in our seventies she has recently had an above the knee amputation.We have a carer come morning and evening totalling 45 minutes the rest of the time I am caring for her.I have had several modifications made to our home to make things easier for us but I must admit there are many little things that are a struggle
We only have our state pension and a small private pension
We have never had to claim benefits in the past so don’t know how to start
We are both happy and doing well so hopefully things will improve with time thanks for listening
Regards David

Hello David
So sorry about your wife’s circumstances.
I don’t have knowledge about this but I hope you will get sorted with all the help and benefits you are entitled to. Keep checking back for replies.

Hello David

Firstly welcome to our forum. In terms of what benefits you might be entitled to I would strongly suggest you contact our adviceline David, they’ll be able to talk to through the process and give you advice. You can either contact them on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (advice@carersuk.org).

Ingrid

welcome to the forums

Hello & welcome David

While you make contact with the advice line look at attendance allowance for your wife.

Attendance Allowance isn’t means tested so it doesn’t matter what other money you get. It doesn’t matter how much you have in savings either - there’s no limit.

Have a look at …

Hi everyone

Not sure what has happened but we appear to have been at least partly hacked as there are unsuitable posts on here blocking up the forum. I’m posting here to bring this topic higher up the forum so that the rubbish can be ignored until the techs get to it.

Sorry about this.

1 Like

Hi David,
Inevitably, the next few months are going to see a lot of adjustments to your lives.
Did the hospital give you any information at all before discharge?
Are you aware of the Amputation Foundation?
The Occupational Therapist should have visited your home and made arrangements for aids and adaptations to your home as well, especially with regard to bathing/showering. Did any of this happen?
Did they arrange 6 weeks FREE Reablement support?

Were you given a Carers Assessment, so you could talk about the changes that you were going to face as well?

Good luck. Request a occupational therapy and a care needs assessment.

Welcome to the forum David.