Nervous About Seeing A Dentist

I have a tooth problem. But every time I go to the dentist I am scared of the sound of the instruments. How can I reduce more stress?

Hello, George. I agree; the very sound of dental instruments is ofputting. The sounds waft into the waiting room and do nothing to encourage you to go in and have the treatment. When you are on the Chair, it is worse - all close at hand and in contact.

I don’t think anyone would describe a visit to the dentist as a pleasant experience - I certainly don’t - but there are things that make the procedure more bearable. How about taking some sedatives before the visit? You could phone the dental receptionist and ask for advice on what to take. (Don’t drive to the dentist or operate the proverbial machinery!) The dentist himself may even be able to provide something during treatment. By this I mean a mental sedative - not all types of dental treatment are practicable with an anaesthetic.

I have a “dentist consultant” appointment I have been referred to by my local dentist as I’ve infection under 3 teeth that may need taking out, including a wisdom tooth… What will happen at the dentist consultancy appointment you think? I’m nervous as heck… I want to be totally unconscious if poss. :whistle:

I had my Wisdom teeth removed (as a precaution) about 50 years ago, they were done under a general anaesthetic.

My eldest is a big tough looking man, until it involves dentists! The solution is easy. Diazepam. Prescribed by the dentist, usually 3 at a time for 3 visits.

Hello, Rl. I presume your regular dentist has referred you to the orthodontal department at the local hospital. In straightforward cases, dentists can extract teeth under local anaesthetic. The fact that this has been referred to the consultant suggests that yours in not a straightforward case and is likely to warrant general anaesthetic. At your first appointment it is unlikely that the consultant will do anything other than examine your mouth and decide exactly what needs to be done. You will have the opportunity to express your concerns, including the form of anaesthetic you prefer. I can’t guarantee you a general anaesthetic of course - that is for the consultant to decide - but it seems likely for a case of the magnitude that you describe. Sometimes consultants are reluctant to use general anaesthetic for health reasons.

In the unlikely event that this is done on local anaesthetic, don’t worry. I usually find that the most painful part of such treatments is the moment when the needle goes in to inject the anaesthetic.

I’ve had many teeth taken out under sedation by a consultant. Injection in the hand and you don’t know anything about it, but need to have someone take you home again afterwards.

To understand how to stop being afraid of dental treatment without becoming hysterical, it is necessary to analyze how you feel when you think about going to the office and find the pain point that provokes the appearance of negative emotions.

I’m locking this thread as it is repeatedly attracting spam.